Chop saw suggestions needed, Harbor Freight???

/ Chop saw suggestions needed, Harbor Freight??? #1  

jobguy

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT120
I need a metal chop saw for intermittent home use. I want to make some small projects and find the 7.5 inch hand held grinder with a cutoff disk jumps too much. Don't want to cut into my leg. Any suggestions would be welcome. I have had good luck with Harbor Freight tools which I only use occasionally.
What do you think?

/ Chop saw suggestions needed, Harbor Freight??? #2  
I need a metal chop saw for intermittent home use. I want to make some small projects and find the 7.5 inch hand held grinder with a cutoff disk jumps too much. Don't want to cut into my leg. Any suggestions would be welcome. I have had good luck with Harbor Freight tools which I only use occasionally.
What do you think?

While I dont have a HF chop saw, a friend of mine does and he says it is OK for his use. I thought about buying one, but I opted for a bandsaw, and I am glad I did. Sure they cost more, but there are several upsides, they are quiet, and have much less mess to deal with, and no fiery trail of burned metal particles. If there is any way you could swing it you should consider a band saw.

James K0UA

/ Chop saw suggestions needed, Harbor Freight??? #3  
I have a Milwakee metal chop saw with a 14 inch blade that does the job. It's loud and it sprays sparks all over the place. I use the abrassive disks in it and they last a decent amount of time. It was $125 and I use it a few times a year. For the money, it was a good buy and I'd do it again. I'd love to have a ban saw for cutting metal, but can't really justify the expense. The problem I have with Harbor Freight is that their reputation on power tools is that it will fail early, and things get loose on their stuff. It's not worth the small savings to have to bring it back for a replacement in my opinion. If you have to stop working, drive down there and get another to finish the project your working on, the savings you spent on it just isn't there anymore. While I'm not a big fan of Milwakee tools, it's a decent tool for occasional use. I also cut cultures stone and bricks with it.

Eddie

/ Chop saw suggestions needed, Harbor Freight??? #4  
I wish you lived in Northwest PA, I have a HF chop saw that I bought second hand and will sell cheap, I just dont use it as much as I thought I would. I have a HF bandsaw that I bought in 1997 and that is the machine I turn to when cutting steel or anything for that matter! I to am concerned with the noise and trail-o-sparks from the chop saw. Check Craigslit you can find stuff on there most of the time and get good deals too! You might even find a bandsaw on there and if ya do I'd jump on it!!! :thumbsup:

/ Chop saw suggestions needed, Harbor Freight???
Can I use a metal cutting disc in my 10 inch table saw or skill saw to cut metal without wrecking the table saw?????

/ Chop saw suggestions needed, Harbor Freight??? #6  
I have used a skil saw with the blade turned arround backwards to cut sheet metal but WOW WAS IT LOUD!!! I wouldn't try it on angle or structural steel.

/ Chop saw suggestions needed, Harbor Freight??? #7  
If you could look at the grizzly web site you can find the portable band saw. This is what i'm going to do. I don't like the mess the chop saws leave behind.

/ Chop saw suggestions needed, Harbor Freight??? #8  
Can I use a metal cutting disc in my 10 inch table saw or skill saw to cut metal without wrecking the table saw?????

Make sure you clean out all the saw dust and have a fire extingusher ready!!!!:ashamed: you don't want to burn your shop down. I too also love my Taiwan made band saw, you put your stock in, clamp it and walk away. When it is finished cutting it shuts itself off while you are doing something else. Go back and set it up to cut another piece and another...:thumbsup: It may cut slower but when you can leave unattended to do its thing , I just love it:D:D

/ Chop saw suggestions needed, Harbor Freight??? #9  
I bought one of those cheap chopsaws with the stamped steel base. HF, Northern Tool, truckload peddlers all sell a similar looking saw. I've boughten my share of the occasional use cheap tools and have had good luck most of the time but on this thing I either got a dud or it is just plain bad. Mine would run down to a stop if it barely started throwing sparks on metal. I did find that it works fantastic on PVC tubing and plastic rain gutters though.

/ Chop saw suggestions needed, Harbor Freight??? #10  

I tried one on my radial arm saw, and the table saw..Not good results. burned the radial arm saw table quick. I had to clean out the table saw really well to prevent fire.. also it threw lots of sparks on the belt.. you need ear plugs etc.. its just a mess. I cut about 2 inches in some 14 guage and quit. Not my cup of tea. The blade is still hanging on the wall. Get a band saw, you will not be sorry, and you will have it for the rest of your life. A man told me about 25 years ago to buy a good 15 inch drill press, and you would have it for the rest of your life, and would get a lot of use out of it all the time. He was right. Well the band saw might not be as universally useful as the drill press, but pretty close if you like to work with metal. I dont use it all the time, nor as much as the drill press, but when you need it, it is great to have.

James K0UA