Chipper anvil/ wear plate repair?

/ Chipper anvil/ wear plate repair? #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
The wear bar on the MacKissic chipper shredder is worn out.

I layed out a couple of replacements on a sheet of 1/4 " plate, but then got to wondering if there would be something better.

Thinking of adding a hard edge suggests a few options.

Weld on a length of grouser hard bar and grind back to square.

Build up the old edge with 7000 series filler rod.
Build up the edge with hard facing rod

'Could make the piece from some alternate material than the 1/4 " plate stock (if avaialble from my local steel supply.)

The thing is only about 6 inches long, by an inch and a a half wide. It needs about 3/8ths inch added on. So i'm not inclined to "special order" anything exotic. The present one has probably 100 hours on it, and it's at the end of the adjustment, with still about 1/8 inch gap to the knives. (spec is 1/16"-3/16") I would set it closer if it weren't worn ;-)

Ideas?

/ Chipper anvil/ wear plate repair? #2  
Even the anvil in my Chinese made chipper is a lot harder then std A36 so I'm not sure how well your replacements would hold up, you can look into getting ar400 or similar, it's usually pretty cheap and holds up a lot better then A36, just a little less fun to work with.

Have you checked how hard the current anvil is?

/ Chipper anvil/ wear plate repair?
   / Chipper anvil/ wear plate repair? #4  
:thumbsup: "git 'er done" You're not messin around are you! Post question at 11:30 at night 2 days ago, done today.

/ Chipper anvil/ wear plate repair?
Would have run into town for stock and made the new piece yesterday. But I sharpened the knives and set the clearance as best it could be set. (touched off the anvil edge on the surface grinder to square it up, but the grinder won't put metal back on. Got to work on that! ;-)

After the tune up yesterday, I started in chipping and shredding. We had quite a wind a week or so ago that toppled the top off a 80' tall hemlock. Clearing that mess took a couple of hours, then went on to a few old limb piles stashed about the place. All that effort just reinforced the need for a properly fitted counter blade!

So on it went today! Jumped on the tops of a maple that tipped over with the same wind that lopped the top off the hemlock. What a treat! No overly aggressive self feeding with the green hardwood. Just right!
Fruit tree prunings were piled nearby, so they were processed as well, along with a substantial pile of "Garden debris" that was raked off lawn and beds. (spring is early this year) Lots of sticks in with the leaves and trimmings. The hammer mill shredder worked a treat. Having a good pile of dry woody sticks handy while processing fiber and wet leaves is a boon for keeping the screen clear.

It looks like our needs for fibrous mulch and compost will be readily supplied.

The MacKissic TPH 184 is a good machine. The belt drives can't really put more than about 18-20 HP into the work, but That is still a lot of munching!
I run the tool on the 1000 rpm pto and set the engine speed down. Call it "eco-friendly" ;-)