Chipper accident

/ Chipper accident #2  
Sad story. Safety is important. Inexperience and overconfidence kill a lot of people.

/ Chipper accident #4  
I've run chippers, but nothing that big. Mostly cub cadet self-powered 4-6" capacity gas engine jobs. We always had one around our place growing up.

The thing about growing up around farm equipment is you learn to have a very healthy respect for it. I had a neighbor missing an arm in a PTO accident. He ran without the shield because he knew better. Most people who are seriously injured or killed are either inexperienced or they got complacent because they ran the equipment so long they figured nothing bad would happen to them. Not sure which it was with this guy, but loose clothing is a big risk.

My point was that we all need to respect the equipment.

/ Chipper accident #5  
I've had two chippers - both Wallenstein. First -BX42S, now - BX62S. I have well over 300 hours chipping my pine stands. Both - PTO powered.

I know for a fact - I CAN NOT reach the blades while still standing on the ground. If my jacket were caught and I was dragged off the ground - well, I just don't know and I will NEVER find out either. Respect and knowing/following ALL safety recommendations.

I occasionally( note, I did say occasionally) get assistance from my son and his friends. They are allowed to " pull from the pile and bring to my chipper". I am the only person who will put the trees into the chipper.

I've witnessed mice going thru the chipper. Not a pleasant experience.

/ Chipper accident #6  
The mice are DEFINITELY no friend of mine. The fellow had to do something very unusual to get drug past the safety release on that chipper.

/ Chipper accident #7  
Very sad, regardless of exact what happened. My “baby” chipper has hydraulic feed and this was an important safety feature for me as it controls the feed rate and provides a way to stop it should a piece of clothing get somehow snagged in operation.

/ Chipper accident #8  
I'm assuming the chipper in the accident was a commercial drum type...a lot faster type when pulling in material. I wouldn't ever get even near one...especially with my gimpy leg (I'm a walking trip hazard).
Two things I know when operating a chipper (I have a PTO driven Woodmaxx 8H): Never feed from directly behind the hopper and don't wear any type of clothing (gauntlet type gloves, for example) that can be snagged by the material.
The Woodmaxx has a safety bar that stops the feed roller instantly...but why take any chances?

One thing I am curious about when reading the linked article....the man was found, alive and conscious, with a body part in the chipper. My guess the body part was his leg (trying to kick something in or clear a jam)
My sympathies to the man's surviving kinfolk

/ Chipper accident #9  
The fellow had to do something very unusual to get drug past the safety release on that chipper.
Could be an older chipper...I don't think the picture of the chipper in the link is the actual chipper in that accident...strictly a guess though.
Older chippers (I'm writing about the commercial machines, not a residential unit like many TBNers own) didn't have some of the safety gear (such as emergency stop bars) newer ones have, or the safety equipment may be disabled or not functional.
We can play "Monday Morning Quarterback" all we want, but we really can only speculate (guess) what happened...just know it was tragic...

/ Chipper accident #10  
I'm assuming the chipper in the accident was a commercial drum type...a lot faster type when pulling in material. I wouldn't ever get even near one...especially with my gimpy leg (I'm a walking trip hazard).
Two things I know when operating a chipper (I have a PTO driven Woodmaxx 8H): Never feed from directly behind the hopper and don't wear any type of clothing (gauntlet type gloves, for example) that can be snagged by the material.
The Woodmaxx has a safety bar that stops the feed roller instantly...but why take any chances?

One thing I am curious about when reading the linked article....the man was found, alive and conscious, with a body part in the chipper. My guess the body part was his leg (trying to kick something in or clear a jam)
My sympathies to the man's surviving kinfolk
I don't think the chipper in the picture is the chipper in the accident. And for people that don't know about the old drum chippers that could suck in a 20 foot long 3 inch diameter branch in about 3 seconds with no emergency feed stop. So if you get snagged you are going in. The feed roller style both as a drum or disc chipper are a lot more controlled than the old drum grab and gone chippers.