Chinese mini-X track came off....now what?

/ Chinese mini-X track came off....now what? #1  

dfkrug

Tractor
05 Kioti CK30HST w/ Prairie Dog backhoe, XN08 mini-X
Well, I have been using my Chinese excavator, and I now have almost 30 hours on it. For those who have not seen my earlier thread on how I got it, it is a 1-ton unit called an XN08, made by Xiniu, aka Shandong Landworld Machinery.

I knew it would happen eventually: I threw a track. By that I mean one of the tracks is displaced inward such that the idler wheel is outside of the guide lug pairs. This small machine features mechanical track tensioners, rather than the hydraulic tensioners you would normally see on a modern machine. I am a total noob when it comes to experience with ANY excavator (or skid steer) track tensioners.

It is hard to see the idler wheel in the first photo, but the track is almost touching the dozer boom. The track has been displaced inward by about an inch.

The 2nd photo shows the tensioner, but there is nothing in the docs about which direction you turn the bolt. (The answer I later find out is clockwise is more tension.)

Attachments

• track_5.jpg
    track_5.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 588
  • track_adjuster.jpg
    track_adjuster.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 556
   / Chinese mini-X track came off....now what?
So, I am out in the field when all this happens, naturally. I contacted Xiniu, and they told me the tensioning procedure, and they posted this video:
how to install rubber track if the rubber track off - YouTube

The video show 2 guys with crowbars, forcing the track, while someone else operates the drive control. No way I am going to have ONE, let alone 2 helpers.

So, after some head-scratching, this is what I did: I removed the drive sprocket nut and sprocket. Not easy, as the minimum tension on the track is still quite significant. I had to use a 3-foot Gorilla bar to force it off the tapered shaft. This caused the threads in the hard shaft to marr the machined hole in the sprocket. It sure would be easier if the tensioner mechanism removed all the tension!

So I had to carry it down to the workshop and clean up the hole with a die grinder. The sprocket seems to be some kind of ductile cast steel, and weighs about 21#. By the time I got it to my workshop, it seemed like 30 or 40#. You can see where the threads bit into the sprocket hole. No damage to the threads at all.

Attachments

• drive_motor.jpg
    drive_motor.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 367
  • drive_sprocket_1.jpg
    drive_sprocket_1.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 343
  • drive_sprocket_2.jpg
    drive_sprocket_2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 358
   / Chinese mini-X track came off....now what? #4  
We used the boom to press a 6x6 against the front wheel (track off) to press it back once we took pressure off the tensioning system (Our is hydro so a little different but maybe can use concept). This forces the wheel back and I was able to use a digging bar and work the track on. Then move it slightly forward, use digging bar again, inch track forward, etc... Took a few minutes but it worked. Two people make it quick and easy!

I have also saw guys tie a rope to the track lever and use a bar to push on the track while they pull the rope to move the final driver motor forward. Never done, and better be careful doing it but can work.

Here is what the idler looks like, and the hole it slides into.

Attachments

• idler_wheel_5.jpg
    idler_wheel_5.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 359
  • idler_wheel_4.jpg
    idler_wheel_4.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 305
  • idler_wheel_3.jpg
    idler_wheel_3.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 346
  • idler_wheel_2.jpg
    idler_wheel_2.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 337
  • idler_wheel_1.jpg
    idler_wheel_1.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 331
The adjuster mech seems to just preload the spring.

Attachments

• adjuster_1.jpg
    adjuster_1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 302
  • adjuster_2.jpg
    adjuster_2.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 287
Finally, I had to reinstall the track...without any helpers.

These are the tools I used. I was barely able to get the sprocket started on the shaft, using both a 6' digger bar and my trusty 3-ft Gorilla bar. The nut pushed the sprocket on the final inch or so. Lining up the Woodruff key requires patience.

Questions for you excavator owners: does your track tensioner remove all the track tension? Does anyone have a mechanical tensioner mechanism?

Attachments

• tools.jpg
    tools.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 326
We used the boom to press a 6x6 against the front wheel (track off) to press it back once we took pressure off the tensioning system.

Your Kubota uses grease, correct?

I did not use the boom and bucket to push on the idler wheel since I was using it to elevate the one side of the excavator. I did try a scissors jack between the idler and dozer blade to help get the track back on, but I was not able to get much tension off.

/ Chinese mini-X track came off....now what? #9  
Yes sir. We normally lift the machine, place cribbing under it to keep it off the ground a few inches so we can then use the boom to help.

/ Chinese mini-X track came off....now what? #10  
Backing off the tensioner nut on my old Kubota HK5 removes all the track tension. Not sure if it was designed that way or if the track is just worn out and loose.