Chickens, the news says we don’t have enough

/ Chickens, the news says we don’t have enough #1  

ddbackhoe

Veteran Member
Tractor
DK5310SE HSTC
There’s a chicken shortage, bird flu, OMG…no eggs. At the grocery store, prices jump higher and higher. On the other side,Tyson foods now says that there is excess production, shut it down.

/ Chickens, the news says we don’t have enough #2  
Yes, more individuals need to be raising there own food as well as small businesses. Chickens are easy to raise and the meat is worlds better than that crap from Tyson.

/ Chickens, the news says we don’t have enough #3  
Supply and demand.

We have seen the bird flu story before. I think it is just an excuse for poor marketing projections on consumption.

/ Chickens, the news says we don’t have enough #4  
well, you know what they say about the ”news”…
F-A-K-E

/ Chickens, the news says we don’t have enough #5  
Yup, believe what you want, I'm starting to only believe what I see.

News is 90% bought off. I've got more chickens than I want. Had four eggs today.

/ Chickens, the news says we don’t have enough #6  
Pilgrims chicken has a plant not too far from us and lots of farmers raising chickens. We will grow our own, soon.

/ Chickens, the news says we don’t have enough #7  
The egg rush ended around me several months ago. I haven't seen any chicken or egg shortages around my part of the country. I also have a few too many chickens at my house as well.

/ Chickens, the news says we don’t have enough #8  
We have over 100 chickens and eventually, we'll probably double that and then get into raising meat birds. Right now we have 15 Rio Grand turkey eggs in the incubator. We did several batches of 30 chicken eggs this year with 80 percent success.

We also buy chicks from Ideal Poultry, which also supplies the stores like Tractor Supply and Atwoods. We where low on Rhode Island's and we got 20 of them a few months ago. Only one passed away, and it was about 2 months old when it happened. We're guess it just couldn't handle the heat. All our chickens free range and when it gets hot, they hang out in the shade, by the pond.

Early this year it was very hard to get any birds from Ideal. Lots of excuses, but for whatever the real reason was, they did eventually get caught up and birds became available. The price of eggs dropped dramatically as birds became available, so I'm thinking there was some connection.

We feed our 6 dogs two eggs a day, so that's our minimum usage. Some days we collect 4 dozen eggs, other days it's half that. Snakes get a few, but our bigger issue is the birds get old and stop producing, which is why we hatch them in our incubator, and the other issue is that some of the birds wonder off and hide their eggs. It's always interesting when you find a couple dozen eggs in a new location. Inside my cement mixer is my favorite so far.

From the lockdown, until now, we realized how important it is to have a source of food on our farm. We traded eggs for stuff we needed from friends who wanted eggs, but couldn't find them. I would of never guessed that in modern times, bartering would come in so handy!!! I don't see anything getting better with our country, and having our own source of eggs makes us feel just a little bit better not having to rely on them being in the store.

/ Chickens, the news says we don’t have enough #9  
Don't believe the news. It's a made shortage.

Attachments

• IMG_20230225_151807.jpg
    IMG_20230225_151807.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20230223_183020.jpg
    IMG_20230223_183020.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
   / Chickens, the news says we don’t have enough #10