Chicken enclosure

/ Chicken enclosure #1  

RobA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HST
I'm building a run for chickens (don't have them yet). The structure is built and I'm using 1/2" hardware cloth on all the vertical surfaces. I am also using 1"x2" welded wire over top of the hardware cloth. For added security I was going to use the welded wire on the lower 3 feet. I this sufficient or do I need to use both the welded wire and hardware cloth on all vertical surfaces?

/ Chicken enclosure #2  
For ours we have 6' high welded wire fence with hardware cloth or chicken wire on the lower 2' extending outwards along the ground as a skirt for a foot or two. That helps prevent critters (coyotes, racoons, skunks) from tunneling in under the fence. We've had bobcats climb the fence and go over an electric wire at the top, so we enclosed the top with plastic mesh. I made a structure from scrap tubing and PVC to support it. It doesn't need to be super sturdy in the middle, just along the edges of the fence.

/ Chicken enclosure
For ours we have 6' high welded wire fence with hardware cloth or chicken wire on the lower 2' extending outwards along the ground as a skirt for a foot or two. That helps prevent critters (coyotes, racoons, skunks) from tunneling in under the fence. We've had bobcats climb the fence and go over an electric wire at the top, so we enclosed the top with plastic mesh. I made a structure from scrap tubing and PVC to support it. It doesn't need to be super sturdy in the middle, just along the edges of the fence.

Sounds like my wire is the mirror image of yours. Do you think the hardware cloth alone on the upper part of vertical surfaces is sufficient?

/ Chicken enclosure #4  
We use 2x4 welded wire with a 12" skirt of 1/2" hardware cloth at the bottom. That to keep the chickens from sticking their heads thru the welded wire and a critter trying to pull them on thru.

Plan on locking the chickens in the house at night... (we use an automatic door)....never seen a fence yet that can beat raccoons unless you electrify the heck out of it....they will come under, over or thru about anything eventually.

/ Chicken enclosure #5  
Sounds like my wire is the mirror image of yours. Do you think the hardware cloth alone on the upper part of vertical surfaces is sufficient?

Depends on how close your fence poles are. Other than climbing the fence I don't think predators will put a lot of force on the upper part of the fence. The welded wire fence (2x4 or 4x4) is cheaper and easy to deal with. Also its what we started with.

We also lock the chickens in the coop at night and use an automatic door. And routinely check the outside of the enclosure to see if anything's been trying to dig in. Sometimes we've had to pile rocks or scrap metal on the skirting to discourage them.

/ Chicken enclosure
The wire is supported by the structure every 4 feet so it's pretty stiff. I do have an automatic door and the coop (which I built) is very secure.

/ Chicken enclosure #7  
I have hardware cloth on my coop structure, and for the runs have 2x4 wire with chicken wire on the bottom foot. I have an electric wire around the bottom outside up about 4", it is one rated to burn through weeds/chase predators.

I ended up having to add more hardware cloth under the coop structure to help deal with rats. And added deer netting over the pen to deal with hawks. So my suggestion is to have something covering all sides from the get-go.

Lastly as far as digging goes, the worst thing digging around the pens (other than rats) is the chickens themselves. They are always digging looking for bugs and roots, and also making little nesting holes in the ground to keep cool, often the size of half a bowling ball. I ended up lining the inside perimeter with bricks to keep them from accidentally digging out (they tried to pull this stunt under the board fence with the dogs on the other side which was not going to go well for the chickens).

/ Chicken enclosure #9  
I'd suggest another precaution.
Perhaps do the 'floor' area of the enclosure with welded wire (hardware cloth) as weasels ferrets etc. can and will dig under the walls.
A friend did this and after 3 years not a single kill.