Chevy Pokes Fun at Ford Aluminum Truck

/ Chevy Pokes Fun at Ford Aluminum Truck #51  
Altho some aluminum is stronger than some steel, no aluminum is as stiff as any steel. Stiffness increases with the cube of thickness however - so the aluminum panels are made a little thicker to make them as stiff as a steel panel.
larry

Thanks! :thumbsup:

/ Chevy Pokes Fun at Ford Aluminum Truck #52  
Well here are my thoughts:

1: The commercial was funny, or at least I thought so.
2: I suspect Ford did a lot of research before they risked their best selling product.
3: Are there downsides or upsides to using Aluminum body panels? I really don't know, time will tell. As pointed out many manufactures have used Aluminum hoods for some time.
4: Is it worthwhile now that fuel is somewhat cheaper? I don't know.

5: Some of you need to "Lighten up Francis". It was just a commercial.. When was the last time anyone really took a commercial seriously? I sure don't.

/ Chevy Pokes Fun at Ford Aluminum Truck #53  
Aluminum hoods is one thing. Aluminum in the wheel wells is quite different. I wonder how it will hold up to rock chips and salt, road grime, etc... we'll find out in a few years one way or the other.

/ Chevy Pokes Fun at Ford Aluminum Truck #54  
Aluminum hoods is one thing. Aluminum in the wheel wells is quite different. I wonder how it will hold up to rock chips and salt, road grime, etc... we'll find out in a few years one way or the other.

The aluminum Ford uses is actually more dent and ding resistant than typical steel panels. Will likely limit hail damage as well.

/ Chevy Pokes Fun at Ford Aluminum Truck #55  
The aluminum Ford uses is actually more dent and ding resistant than typical steel panels. Will likely limit hail damage as well.

I'm not so concerned about dents and dings. More interested in what happens to it once the paint gets chipped and salt gets packed into cracks, seams and crevices.

/ Chevy Pokes Fun at Ford Aluminum Truck #56  
Sounds like some of you would favor the properties of Hemp Panels Ford looked into many years ago.

what's the corvette made outa?

Weren't some past GM trucks fitted with plastic body panels?

/ Chevy Pokes Fun at Ford Aluminum Truck #57  
fords.jpg

/ Chevy Pokes Fun at Ford Aluminum Truck #58  
I thought it was really funny. But completely unrelated to trucks. And if GM does sway people based on that commercial, they are playing to an uninformed crowd.

PACAR has been using aluminum (and wood) in their cabs for decades on over the road tractors. My father has a 74 Kenworth with an aluminum cab. Still in excellent shape after all of these years in New England.

/ Chevy Pokes Fun at Ford Aluminum Truck #59  
Yes, it's not really relevant. But, that ad was really good.

I did body work for over 30 years. And, among others, I have the ICAR certification for repairing aluminum body panels.

I am very glad I don't have to buy either truck. And, you couldn't give me the third one.

Honestly, I have had a lot of vehicles apart. No where did I ever find all the money they cost, hidden in there somewhere.

But, if I had to buy one, I would chose steel.

There is a reason why this did not happen a long time ago. Aluminum parts, and repairs do cost more. Steel panels are much more often repairable, than aluminum panels.

Ford has chosen to fake the price of these panels, to suggest repair will not be more expensive. Bull. That is the real advertising gimmick here.

Aluminum hoods, which are fairly common, did cost more, than the one in steel they replaced. A lot more. Everyone knows aluminum costs more than steel. Ford is not going to hold these panels at the same prices indefinitely. They will add x amount each year to the cost, until they get the price up to where they like it.

However, since there is no doubt this is one of the ways the industry is headed. I will strongly suggest anyone who is set on buying one of these, waits for at least a year. Which is what I would suggest, with any new model.

Let some of them get wrecked real bad, and let them work out the details, on your neighbors vehicle.

Why volunteer for that? :2cents: