chevy half ton tranny trouble

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #31  
I have a 2009 gmc 4 speed trans and I got over 200,00 miles on the trans before it died. When I took it too my trans guy he said I was lucky. He told me that he does more chevy trans than any other make. The 2008-2009 were the better trans after that they changed something in the torque converter and since then they do not last as long. He said most guys do not even get 100,000 miles on a trans

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #32  
When you can sell a truck then a $5000 transmission 3 years later, WHY would you want to offer that same truck with a manual transmission which might last 300k miles?

That's why I won't buy another GM product.

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #33  
I pretty well smoked the oil in the transmission of my old S10 Blazer. As some people mentioned, best to keep the oil cool if working hard. Auxiliary oil cooler?

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #34  
When you can sell a truck then a $5000 transmission 3 years later, WHY would you want to offer that same truck with a manual transmission which might last 300k miles?

That's why I won't buy another GM product.
As far as I know, there are no "Big 3" pickups sold new with manual transmissions, with the last being the heavy duty RAM discontinued a couple of years ago. Toyota may still have a compact pickup with a manual.

The transmission may last forever, but clutches typically don't. At least in my experience with smaller vehicles. While a replacement clutch is cheap, digging it out is always a major pain.

As far as the auto transmission, it can probably be rebuilt, for not a lot of money in parts, but quite a bit of labor.

I was watching videos. Apparently Saab 900 had a design in which the clutch could be changed without removing the engine nor transmission. Surely a mechanic's nightmare. Suddenly a $1500 clutch replacement job can be done for $200.

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #35  
I have a 2012 Chevy car with a 305hp V6, and 6 speed trans. It has 254,000 and change on it, and the tranny still works perfectly, never had a problem with it.

In fact, it's still on its original alternator, starter ect... I did finally have to put a battery in it. lol

Maintenace, tires, brakes and one set of struts is all we have had to do to it.

oooohhh, and one front axle U-joint.

SR

Last edited:
   / chevy half ton tranny trouble #36  
I have a 2012 Chevy car with a 305hp V6, and 6 speed trans. It has 254,000 and change on it, and the tranny still works perfectly, never had a problem with it.

In fact, it's still on its original alternator, starter ect... I did finally have to put a battery in it. lol

Maintenace, tires, brakes and one set of struts is all we have had to do to it.

oooohhh, and one front axle U-joint.

SR
Impala?

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #37  
The OP's situation sounds a bit familiar ....
Last month, I was 250 miles from home, cruising with my bride and three retrievers when the transmission in my 2017 GMC Sierra went bad (fortunately, I was able to limp into the nearest town) ... the truck has only 82,000 miles on it, nearly all highway miles and no towing! Of course, my warranty lapsed at 60,000 miles.
Long story shortened ... a replacement or rebuild was required. Rebuild at a dealership was estimated at $7800 (parts & labor, 3 year warranty); replacement at a dealership was close to $8,000 IF a replacement was found; and a rebuild at an independent shop was priced between $3,000-$4,000. The service manager reached out to GMC and got them to cover roughly half the cost of the rebuild. Due to the warranty, which will be honored at all dealerships, and the reduced cost of the rebuild, I went with the dealership rebuild.
So far, so good ....