Checking Tire pressure

/ Checking Tire pressure #1  

bill18163

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710,BX1860,LA3940
I was at the dealer picking up a part and asked about checking the tire pressure on my B2710. I asked because the tires are loaded and I was wondering if you had to do anything different when you check tire pressure on a filled tire or add air if needed. They told me to get the valve stem at 12 o'clock and go from there. But one guy told me I would ruin my tire gage because of the fluid in the tires. He said the fluid is not calcium but some other kind of sticky stuff. He said it would ruin the gage and that I could use a calcium gage. How do you guys on this board check your loaded tires air pressure?

/ Checking Tire pressure #2  
Bill, you will need to get a tire gauge designed for checking tires with fluid. I have only checked tires with Ca chlorideas ballast. Other gages will work but probably not for long. Even if the tire is checked at the 12:00 postion, a small amount of fluid will still get in the gauge (from the valve stem) and eventually ruin it.

/ Checking Tire pressure #3  
I'm not sure if this is the correct procedure, but being a Yankee and therefore cheap...I put the valve at 12 o'clock, blow a very short blast of air into the tire to clear the valve, then use my gage.

Pete

www.GatewayToVermont.com

/ Checking Tire pressure #4  
Pete, that's just the way I do it, too, even though I'm using a gauge that's made for both liquid and air.

Bird