CHECK YOUR LUG NUTS!!!

/ CHECK YOUR LUG NUTS!!! #21  
I think one of the biggest problem these days is the guys that are installing the wheels, I usually find the lugs to be either much too loose or their overtightened to the point where you need to bring out the heavy equipment to break them loose. The last time I had new tires put on my wifes VW they were so tight that it took my 3/4 impact gun to get them off. This is a small car and theres no way I could have ever gotten these wheels off on the side of the road with a tire iron.

/ CHECK YOUR LUG NUTS!!! #22  
I need to get a torque wrench.

Every tractor owner needs a torque wrench.

/ CHECK YOUR LUG NUTS!!! #23  
I think one of the biggest problem these days is the guys that are installing the wheels, I usually find the lugs to be either much too loose or their overtightened to the point where you need to bring out the heavy equipment to break them loose. The last time I had new tires put on my wifes VW they were so tight that it took my 3/4 impact gun to get them off. This is a small car and theres no way I could have ever gotten these wheels off on the side of the road with a tire iron.

That's why you NEVER let anyone use an impact wrench on lug nuts...they can use that impact wrench to get the nuts close, but final tightening must be done with a torque wrench. Recommended for steel wheels...mandatory for aluminum wheels.
It's a good idea to use anti-seize compound on the threads too...

/ CHECK YOUR LUG NUTS!!! #24  
I suggest that once you torque the lug bolts or nut, use a paint marker and paint a narrow strip across the lug nut (or bolt) to the rim. This provides a quite easy visual examination to determine if any has loosened...if the paint stripes aren't aligned, you'll know immediately if the fastener has loosened.
This is a pretty common practice of some machines tools and other applications

I often see yellow pointed plastic things slipped over the lug nuts all pointing the same way.
I think the idea is brilliant and imaging not expensive either.
All gov't and utility providers use then here, so far not mandatory for the public.

/ CHECK YOUR LUG NUTS!!!
I'm sure this has been discussed here many times, but today, I learned the hard way.

My L6060 has just over 100 hours on it now.

I ran it for about 3 hours this morning, then put my daughter on it for about another 3 hours. When she finished the job, she loaded it on the trailer.

I took it to the next job and when I unloaded it off the trailer, the left front wheel was about to fall off!!!. There were only 3 studs still in the hub holding the wheel in place, but just barely. I was able to tighten those 3 up enough to get it back on the trailer. I drove to the Kubota dealer about 4 miles away, and after about $50 in parts and $150 in labor (15 minutes of labor) I was able to go finish my day.

The mechanic was able to get 4 of the lugs tight enough. The dealer only had 2 studs in stock, so we had to use some of the old ones.

The rim is ruined now too.

So, I just ordered a new rim and 4 more studs and lug nuts for just over $200. By the time I get this all repaired, it will cost me well over $500 for not checking the dang lug nuts......UGH........

Just for the record, although the tractor is new, the rims are not. I bought the tractor with R-4 tires and I had a set of turf tires on my other tractor. I swapped the turf tires to this tractor because it's what I will use more often on the jobs I do. I had them swapped at my local tire dealer.

So I think that means that I should still check my lug nuts on any tractor, not just on new tractors.

Also, just for the record, I had taken some drone video of the tractor while working about 2.5 hours before I saw the problem, and in the video, all studs and nuts were in place, and I could not tell if they had begun to back off.

/ CHECK YOUR LUG NUTS!!! #26  
That's why you NEVER let anyone use an impact wrench on lug nuts...they can use that impact wrench to get the nuts close, but final tightening must be done with a torque wrench. Recommended for steel wheels...mandatory for aluminum wheels.
It's a good idea to use anti-seize compound on the threads too...

lol. I impact wrenched my dually wheels and all was good. We went on a camping trip pulling a 37' 5th wheel to Tupelo which was 150 miles away. Pulling into town across a bridge I could hear stones rattling like being stuck between two wheels, or from a noisy semi next to us. We pulled into the campground and while driving slow on gravel roads I could still hear the noise, so I checked. I pulled the center cover of the stainless wheel liner to inspect the nuts and notice all 8 wheel nuts were 3/4 spun off. The only thing holding the nuts on, I think, was the center wheel liner hub cover. SURPRISINGLY, there was no damage to anything.

What was making the noise was the thin SS wheel liners sliding back and forth over the threads of the lugs. I hate to imagine what another 50 miles of 70 mph would have done to my ego.

Last edited:
   / CHECK YOUR LUG NUTS!!! #27  
THANK YOU for this thread. I kind of dismissed it - my machine is brand new and I asked they guys to go back over it real good before delivery just to be sure. Figured no need to do this, but would keep in back of mind for when 50hr service time comes along and do it then. But then the replies along the lines of "this really applies to a new machine" had me worried enough I figured I may as well check even though barely @ 20 hrs now.

20180527_180657.jpg

Rear tires, loader frame, all tight as can be. But most all the front wheels needed tightening, and in the pic you can see one backed off enough I could turn it with my fingers. So thanks for the heads up - I would have neglected this for a while longer had I not read it here!

/ CHECK YOUR LUG NUTS!!! #28  
A couple comments -- I wouldn't put loctite on the threads because it won't do a darn thing about the studs stretching or the lug seats on the rim wearing in. It would just glue the threads in place but still allow a loose mount (may prevent some catastrophic failure or may just mask a problem until too late). It may also corrupt the torque readings if you ever do try to check and re-torque.

Also, paint marking the lugs will only show if the lugs have rotated from their original position, but won't tell you anything about the studs stretching or lug seats wearing in.

/ CHECK YOUR LUG NUTS!!! #29  
Worst still is the ring gear in the front differential. On my cut they all came and that cost me a ring and pinion as all 8 bolts backed off and trashed them.
That was one costly repair!
Wont happen again as I used Locktight and also drilled the heads and safety wired the bolts in pairs.
Used graded bolts as well.

LOL, glad U specified 'lug' otherwise the monitors might have pulled the topic.

/ CHECK YOUR LUG NUTS!!! #30  
THANK YOU for this thread. I kind of dismissed it - my machine is brand new and I asked they guys to go back over it real good before delivery just to be sure. Figured no need to do this, but would keep in back of mind for when 50hr service time comes along and do it then. But then the replies along the lines of "this really applies to a new machine" had me worried enough I figured I may as well check even though barely @ 20 hrs now.

View attachment 556146

Rear tires, loader frame, all tight as can be. But most all the front wheels needed tightening, and in the pic you can see one backed off enough I could turn it with my fingers. So thanks for the heads up - I would have neglected this for a while longer had I not read it here!

Glad this thread saved you some grief. :thumbsup: