Insurance Cheap Insurance

/ Cheap Insurance #1  

stvman

Gold Member
Tractor
A very tired Case 580 (looking to downsize)
After seeing quite a few posts about people putting gas in their diesel engines I had an idea. A yellow diesel can is a great idea but what if a person other than the normal operator tries to fuel up your tractor?

How about a locking fuel cap with a key tethered to the yellow diesel jug?

/ Cheap Insurance #2  
That sounds like a great idea, but I'd keep the spare hidden on the tractor somewhere in case I was away from the container. Just don't tell anyone else where it is /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Cheap Insurance #3  
You mean you loan your tractor out?!

/ Cheap Insurance #4  
This may be an obvious observation ( pun intended ), but it should be plainly clear when fueling that you only put gas into something that has ignition components.. like a distribuitor cap, spark plug wires.. spark plugs... carb! etc.

I'f I'm working on a peice of equipment that isn't mine, and I get to the point where I need fuel, and I have to stop and figure out what fuel it needs... then I've already failed the first rule of running equipment.

Before you ever start it, walk around it, check oil, and fluids.. kick tires.. look for obstacles for backing/moving the equipment.... etc... At that point it should be fairly plain what type of power plant is in that machine. If nothing else, the sound of it running is a dead giveaway.

Soundguy

/ Cheap Insurance #5  
Soundguy,
I agree with you, unfortunately there is no qualifications for owning/using a tractor.
Sort of like the guy called the computer help desk saying his computer would not come on. When asked to check the power plug he said it was too dark to see because the power was off............

/ Cheap Insurance #6  
yea i agree soundguy, if ya skipped the pre operating check then shouldnt ya still be able to tell by the sound a diesel makes, or the smell. if you cant tell the difference between a gas and diesel engine then you realy need to learn a bit more before you go operating a tractor. i could probably recognize the difference before i was 5 years old! and if ya still had any question a simple wiff of the fuel tank with your nose should clear up any question. but i guess like they say common sense just aint that common anymore

/ Cheap Insurance
soundguy, markct, Obviously neither of of you has dealt with fleet operators, /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif as far as ignition components and diesel fuel not mixing this would be totally understandable for a person who is mechanically inclined. My suggestion was aimed at the guy who leaves for work and his neighbor asks his wife to borrow the tractor to move something then gasses the tractor up before returning it /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Cheap Insurance #8  
My wife knows to only loan my tractor to a couple of people that will take proper care of it. Else I might start loaning out her sewing machine /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif