Ballast Cheap ballast for 2305

/ Cheap ballast for 2305 #1  

newbomb_turk

Tractor
JD 2305
I find that I have been doing more loader work than I thought with my 2305. I know, you're never EVER supposed to carry loads without ballast, but with a little common sense, one can be OK.

I am becoming concerned that I may be putting too much stress on the front axle, so I want to concoct an ultra-cheap ballast. No $200 box filled with sand or whatever, but a chunk of concrete (hopefully $30 - $40).

First thought is to get a round container of some sort, center a solid steel rod though the middle pour several bags of Sakrete in, and let it harden. Hook it up to the TPH, and I could possibly use it to roll the lawn too!

Todd

/ Cheap ballast for 2305 #2  
Like this?

Attachments

• ballast1.JPG
    ballast1.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 377
  • ballast2.JPG
    ballast2.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 401
   / Cheap ballast for 2305 #3  
Mighty Dodge said:
Like this?

Details Please! that looks like a great solution, tho I'll try to find a smooth surfaced container... very interested in what you put through the center for hitch pins.

/ Cheap ballast for 2305 #4  
JiminGa said:
Details Please! that looks like a great solution, tho I'll try to find a smooth surfaced container... very interested in what you put through the center for hitch pins.
I'd use a draw bar from TS.

/ Cheap ballast for 2305 #5  
good Idea, I've got one already! just gotta find a container now....shouldn't be too hard to round something up.

/ Cheap ballast for 2305 #6  
I just used a piece of 1" shaft for the pins. If you don't have a quick hitch 1" will be too big. Used a piece of plywood with 2x2's attached in a square that the pipe would just fit in. Draw diagonals from the corners to find the center drilled a 1" hole. I set the pipe on end on the plywood, inserted the shaft and filled with concrete. Used a 2x4 with a 1" hole laid across the top to center the shaft. To let the shaft protrude through the bottom I set the whole thing up on blocks. It weighs around 500 lbs.

M.D.

/ Cheap ballast for 2305 #7  
I do have an imatch, my last question...how big diameter wise is the pipe you used to poor into? I'm guessing maybe 24 inches...

/ Cheap ballast for 2305 #8  
Can you lower the 3pt arms low enough to drop that round ballast on the ground when you need to?

/ Cheap ballast for 2305
Mighty Dodge said:
Like this?

That looks like commercial drainage pipe. Like the stuff the county is installing down the street. I looked at the 'Depot for concrete tubes, but only found sizes up to 12". I need about 16" - 18" -yours looks to be 20"+. I only have a 2305.

Where did you get that pipe?

Make me wonder though, if that ribbed pipe would even be better for rolling the lawn? I am getting an HF Quick Hitch, so I can do just what you did.

Todd

/ Cheap ballast for 2305 #10  
It's a piece of 18" culvert I had laying around. It will lower all the way to the ground but the thickness of the pipe wall makes it fit a little snug. The overall diameter is a little over 20". If I had to do it again I'd use something with a thinner wall so I wouldn't have to wiggle it on and off. If I pick up something real heavy like logs the back end can still get light. I'm making some wheel weights to put on too.

M.D.