Charging problem

/ Charging problem #1  

buppy69

Platinum Member
Tractor
Hinomoto E2804, Hinomoto N239,
I have a 1500D that when I hook up the wires coming from the generator, a wire going towards the dash catches on fire. I cut the wire in half and everything works great(except of course the charging system).I've talked to a local old time Yanmar dealer and he says that he's never had one of those go bad. Could this be the first or what else do I need to look for?

Eugene

/ Charging problem #2  
A good guess is that your voltage regulator has shorted internally allowing current to flow back from the battery through the alternator and then to ground. I think you need a new voltage regulator and maybe altenator coils, as those are probably fried as well. The good news here is that those parts are easily replaced and the tractor will run fine in the meantime as long as you charge the battery occasionally.

/ Charging problem #3  
I second that. I had a later model doing the same thing. Except it had a fusable link ( not a bad thing to add when you fix yours). The link would burn out not the alternator. I put a new current limiter on it and it is back to normal.

/ Charging problem
Thanks fellss,

I'll check that today.

Eugene

/ Charging problem
Sorry' thats FELLAS

Eugene

/ Charging problem #6  
Same thing happened on my 1500D. I bought the tractor back in May and the seller told me it was not charging. He had purchased a new alternator and voltage regulator for the tractor but had not installed them yet. I traced the wires coming off the alternator and found one of them is fried. I haven't had the time to put the new parts on yet and the tractor has been running fine all summer. I haven't even had to charge the battery yet.

One thing that I did notice with the new parts was that my old alternator only has 2 wires coming off it and the new one has 3. The old regulartor has 3 wires and the new one has 4. I contacted the dealer that the parts came from and they are indeed the correct part numbers for my tractor. We think we figured out which wires to use but since I haven't had the time to install it yet I don't know if what we decided is correct or not. Let me know if you come across this problem.

Thanks,

/ Charging problem #7  
Yes, a fusible link would save the alternator coils if the VR shorted. Wonder why they don't do that? Maybe because the VR usually fails as an open rather than a short? It wouldn't hurt to put a fuse in that wire just for insurance.