Charge light on

/ Charge light on #1  

oldoaks

Tractor
Massey ferguson 1040
I have a 1886 Massey ferguson 1040. The charge light came on. The battery was dead and alt was not charging. I replaced them both but charge light is still on. Battery voltage with tractor off is 12.5 when tractor is running its 14.3. Any ideas on why the light is still on?

Thanks

/ Charge light on #2  
Don't you mean a 1986 MF?.......
Wired correctly?.... "Most" alternator systems produce a ground going to back to alt light when alternator not spinning up.... Light usually has 12V (+/-) on one side of light (from IGN switch), the alternator lead for light transitions from a ground condition to a + voltage (12V +/-) when alternator is functioning and since voltage is same on both sides of lamp, there is no current (amperage) flow so lamp goes out.... Your 14.3 volts with engine running and alternator spinning up sound like alternator is functioning correctly....

Last edited:
   / Charge light on
I hate needing reading glasses. 1986 is correct. The alternator is working, so could it be the wire going to the charge light?

/ Charge light on #4  
It could be the wire FROM the charge light is finding a ground somewhere other than the alternator. If I suspect that I will disconnect the pigtail from the alternator, turn the key on and see if the light is still on or not.

/ Charge light on #5  
Possibly.... check for a groind between alternator and light.... Otherwise it may be connected wrong at alternator.... Indicator (ALT LAMP) is about this simple unless the is a external alternator regulator involved...

3 wire alt.jpg

/ Charge light on
Thanks everyone I appreciate the help.

/ Charge light on #7  
I got it on my Deere from the voltage regulator which overheated somehow and melted a connector, I was trying to use a big jump battery which also saw the dead battery in parallel.