Changing to synthetic oil

/ Changing to synthetic oil #1  

Corm

Gold Member
Tractor
1999 Cub Cadet 7260, 1953 Farmall Super A
I've searched the archives and haven't seen this particular question asked. Please excuse me if I've missed it..... When changing from dino oil to synthetic, do I need to do anything special to get all of the dino oil out of the engine? Is there a problem mixing the little bit of dino oil that will be left in the engine with the synthetic I'll be putting in? Is it necessary to put in the synthetic, run the engine for a bit, and then change it again to purge all of the old oil out? That probably sounds a little ****, but I just want to make sure I don't hurt anything. Thanks in advance for any responses, and hope you all have a GRRReat New Year!

/ Changing to synthetic oil #2  
No, you do nothing special. Just change filter and drain all oil and refill. Most of the Syns' literature says "compatible with all oil types". If you have a high-time engine which is dirty, it is a good idea to run something like Amsoil Superflush first, because as I understand it, diferent oils contain different additive packages with differing amounts of detergents. If you have a high-time engine with deposits and simply change to synthetic, it may wash the engine clean in the first few minutes/hours of operation and then you should change oil and filter again instead of letting all this junk block your filter for the next 200 hours. Always continue to change the filter at the recommended intervals, even if you use an extended drain interval for the majority of the oil. Also/alternatively, seriously consider adding a by-pass filter system. Your stock full-flow unit is filtering only some of the oil, and bypassing the rest when the flow rate is too high. A by-pass filter filters all the oil, at a very slow rate, so that over time the oil actually gets cleaner and cleaner. Both type are used together (your stock full-flow filter stays on when you add a by-pass). For more details, see the Amsoil website.
If you store your tractor in cold weather and need to use it in the cold, you would also greatly benefit by changing the hyd/trans oil to synthetic.

/ Changing to synthetic oil #3  
As I understand full-flow oil filters, they only bypass when the oil pressure rises above a predetermined level--i.e., when the filter is clogged or the oil is cold and thick. They have to do this; the choice is unfiltered oil or no oil at all.

/ Changing to synthetic oil #4  
When changing to synthetic oil, get engine to operating temperature and then drain oil and remove old filter. Leave drain plug out for about an hour of dripping. Install new filter and synthetic oil. No need to flush with Amsoil superflush as it is used for gas engines only. Also no need of a bypass filter-only needed if you had a vehicle that you were going to extend the oil drain intervals. Change tractor oil and filter at least once a year-synthetic or dino oil.