Change tire PT1460

/ Change tire PT1460 #1  

PowerTracManiac

Silver Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1460
Well I did it to myself.
Forgot to air up this tire (which has a slow leak) and went out to clear some brush for the burn pile. Tire popped off the rim bead due to no pressure.
I am wondering if I can get the rim/tire off the tractor by just removing the 6 outer bolts or if I need to get that large center bolt with cotter pin off also?
Tractor is far away from any tools now and I dont have anything big enough to get that large center bolt off with?
Luckily the tractor has a built in lift (the loader itself) and I can get the tire off the ground where it is.

So, is this going to go the easy way or the hard way?
20221126_160706~2.jpg

/ Change tire PT1460 #2  
No, the lug bolts only should release the rim. I believe large nut in the center with the cotter pin is a castle nut that holds the hub with studs onto the wheel motor shaft, but I could be mistaken.

/ Change tire PT1460 #3  
I think Mossroad is correct - just unscrew the lugnuts and the rim/tire should come right off.

/ Change tire PT1460 #4  
Ditto on the castellated nut, don't mess with it.
Some tire guys would rather leave the rim bolted to the machine and just use your tire spoons to slip it back on, that way it doesn't slide away when you are prying. But to each is own. Good luck, sometimes small tires are more difficult then large ones.

/ Change tire PT1460 #5  
A little hint. Make sure the part of the tire that will be at the valve stem is the last to go on. If you have it backward, then the stem takes up some space and the tire fits tighter-harder to get on.

/ Change tire PT1460 #6  
I have done this more than once. The tires never need air, so i don't check...and every five years or so, oopsie...

First tip: don't use any tools with a sharp edge to put tires back on rims, as it is asking for a nick and a slow leak. My second tip is to remember to clean the rim edge of any caked on dirt or debris. I usually just pop the tire on, with the rim on the tractor. Unlike car radials, I find the side walls stiff enough to make a reasonable seal and just inflate the tire to seat the beads. I haven't even needed to remove the valve core. Murphy's oil soap makes a reasonable rim lube if you need it.

(Yes, don't touch the castle nut, as it holds the hub onto the drive motor.)

All the best,

Peter

/ Change tire PT1460
Appreciate the assist everyone.
Going out today to deal with it.
Thank goodness I don't need to deal with the center nut.

/ Change tire PT1460 #8  

/ Change tire PT1460 #10  
My son's camper sat with a flat tire over a winter. The 12" tire was deformed a bit, and I couldn't get it to seat. I did put a generous bead of grease on the rim - both to lubricate it and to seal it, and it did the trick. Good thing, because ether was next.