Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil

/ Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil #71  
Rotax痴 Position on What Oil to use

As we all know, Bombardier requires that an API-TC oil be used in their engines. Most other PWC manufacturers allow the use of TCW3 in their engines. So, what痴 the difference? A PWC is a PWC, right? No, it痴 not! Rotax marine engines evolved from their very successful snowmobile and motorcycle racing designs. These engines produce more power/cc than any other PWC manufacturer痴 engine. Rotax designs these engines to work harder and run hotter than other brands. They simply need more protection than TCW3 oils can give. Those that use TCW3 oils are risking high temp. Seizure if the engine cooling system plugs or and internal fuel filter plugs (lean condition). These things may not happen very often, but when they do, it痴 better to have a little extra protection that only a TI-TC oil can give.

The Late Great Oil Debate

Interesting article.

/ Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil #72  
:thumbdown:Ya gotta be kidding! Paranoia and anecdotal/magical thinking abounds. No way I could read thru a thread like this w/o my lip getting curled up. :thumbdown:
larry

/ Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil #73  
Back when I always used straight non detergent SAE 30 in my old Johnson 25.
We'd burn as much as 25-40 gals every W/E. and 10-15 rest of the week.
Ran that motor 10 years and also sunk it maybe 10-15 times.

When I sold it (10 yrs) the compression was as good as when new!

What has changed? or is it just marketing.
.....back then, like in the 50s the oil to gas ratio was 20 to 1 and it didn't really matter what kind of non-detergent oil was used. Today, especially air cooled 2 cycle the mix is usually 40 to 50 to 1 and you need an oil with a high flash point because the cylinder temp is high. So stick with the chainsaw oil.

/ Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil #77  
13 year old resurrection.

Welcome to TBN.
I'm glad this popped up, because I was recently wondering if I could just use outboard oil in my chainsaw? The opinions in this thread say not to do it.

/ Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil #78  
I'm glad this popped up, because I was recently wondering if I could just use outboard oil in my chainsaw? The opinions in this thread say not to do it.
The oils are formulated for different conditions. Air cooled vs water cooled. There are different operation temperatures involved.

/ Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil #79  
Read your owner's manual. It'll tell you which type of oil to use in the gas mixture.

/ Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil #80  
Old saws were recommended to use 25:1 or 30:1 because two stroke oil back then wasn't very good. Even worse, a lot of guys just used straight 30w four stroke oil. Now we have much better synthetic two stroke oil. It handles the heat and lubricates better, so the engine does not need as much oil. That means less carbon in the engine and cleaner exhaust too. Remember with a saw you're standing right in the cloud of exhaust.

Ever saw manual I have says not to use water cooled outboard oil.