Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil

/ Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil #81  

Ever saw manual I have says not to use water cooled outboard oil.
Yep. Mine say to use air-cooled engine oil, the mixture rate, and NOT to use automotive or marine oil.

A2C43819-90DA-4390-BD84-7198E557BC5E.jpeg

/ Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil #82  
Yep, what he said above. If they are recommending a synthetic oil there's a reason for it. They want to keep the internals of that engine clean as well as lubricated due to the tighter clearances used on newer products. That synthetic will ensure it runs a long life. 2 stroke oils are rated with JASO ratings and you should ensure any oil used in a product meets those ratings. It does matter.

/ Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil #83  
All my life my papaw just poured a swig of motor oil in his boat motor tank. Never used two stroke oil. Engine still runs fine. I'm 53. I'm not saying he fished every day, but he fished a lot. Chain saws and weed eaters got the same treatment.

/ Chainsaw vs Outboard 2 Cycle Oil #84  
I have never paid the slightest attention to 'outboard/marine/aircooled/snowmobile/motorcycle'. If it's 2 stroke oil I mix it and it's been 30 years. The differences are subtle.

"Engine oil" likely has conductive metal additives (like zinc) which could build up on the spark plug and foul it. I wouldn't use engine oil unless I was in a real bind, and had a spare plug etc.

Last edited: