Chain Life

/ Chain Life #11  
In Manitoba Canada, $65 for a permit allows us to cut 10 cords of wood off crown lands. LOTS of cutting areas only minutes from my place. I go through 15 cords +/- per year (mostly jack pine) and I get about 30 cords per chain on my stihl saws. But I do take a lot of care to keep chains sharp and clean. No need to cut into the dirt when trees are plentiful and cheap around here.

/ Chain Life #12  
I use a sawzall with a limb blade for roots, it lasts much longer..

I was advised on this forum, and have since proved to my own satisfaction, that demolition blades, especially carbide tipped ones, dull much more slowly than pruning blades when using a sawzall on roots.

/ Chain Life #13  
I've only had 1 or 2 where I absolutely wore them/it out. Think I got down to less than 1/8" on each cutter bar. Not sure how short you can grind them and use without having them start breaking off. Not good, because the chain is coming at you from the bottom side.

The wear out(s) occurred after being commercially sharpened probably 6 to 8 times.

Ralph

/ Chain Life
I use an 026 pro with a 20" bar for limbing 5" and smaller limbs and brush. I use 20" for reach and ease of only having 1 bar and chain size for 99% of my cutting. I guess i"ll use the 1/8" life chains on the limbing saw and stumps. Fire wood around here in southern MN. is about $150.00 for a 8' box pickup load or $300 per cord. I cut and burn 12-15 cord per year in my outdoor boiler heating 2 buildings. Lucky for me the prominent wood here is Oak, Hickory,Cherry and Red Elm. More than I could ever burn.

/ Chain Life #15  
I was advised on this forum, and have since proved to my own satisfaction, that demolition blades, especially carbide tipped ones, dull much more slowly than pruning blades when using a sawzall on roots.

How do you not slam the end of the blade into the dirt and not bend it?

/ Chain Life #16  
How do you not slam the end of the [sawzall] blade into the dirt and not bend it?

So far I have been able to excavate (sometimes using a trowel) around the root so the blade doesn't jam the dirt. That doesn't eliminate the problem completely. The stresses in roots are not as obvious as the stresses in trunks and branches. I've had the blade bend when it binds in the cut and starts shaking this 220 lb. body. Demolition blades are stouter (thicker) than pruning blades and can still be used with slight bends.

/ Chain Life #17  
When we are in da woods being trail sawyers, we do not bring saw-all's along with us since we normally have to pack in everything with us. That of course means you make do with what you've got. Yes cutting next to the dirt is hard on your sharp chain, but such is life. We clean the dirt away via shovel and have little broom along to sweep more away. It still dulls your chain but that's why you have spares along, not to mention files.

/ Chain Life #18  
I run them down to the last sharpen-able nub and cut the rakers accordingly.

/ Chain Life #19  
On Stihl chains I think there is a line etched to show you where to toss the chain. I don’t cut that much wood and have yet to wear out a chain but I usually have two and rotate them.

/ Chain Life #20  
Are you talking about an actual FULL cord (4'x4'x8' stack)? No way anyone would sell a full cord around here for $70. Maybe a 16" face cord (4'x8'x16") would go for that. That would be a decent deal for a green face cord, and a bargain for a face cord of seasoned wood.

Tree length hardwood pulp going to the paper mill.

Green, Tree Length Firewood is $90 per cord.