Cell phones....3g, 4g, and 5g

/ Cell phones....3g, 4g, and 5g #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Has anyone else noticed that everytime something newer and faster comes out....the predecessor gets ALOT worse?

I remember when 3g was the best we had. Could brows the web no problems at all. Videos would stream with some buffering depending on quality.

When 4g came out....it was super fast. Like everything instantly. I could routinely get 30mbps both down and upload. (I live 1/2 mile from a 4g tower in a rural area).

But when service dropped to 3g....it was like not having a connection at all. All of the sudden 3g was no longer adequate to even browse or read email.

Now that 5g has been around a bit....I am starting to notice the same thing with 4g. It has gotten ALOT slower. Most of the day I can barley get 5mbps.

Is this just the providers slowing down 4g to the point they force everyone to upgrade?

Similar thing I noticed when high-def tv first came out.
Never noticed a need for high def watching football games and such. Could read names and numbers on jerseys, see the football, etc.

When high def came out, I think they made standard def so blurt and pixilated you were forced to switch. Could no longer read names and numbers on jerseys, etc.

/ Cell phones....3g, 4g, and 5g #3  
You typically will not see 5G in rural areas because of the lack of range it has. However, if they are allocating bandwidth to their towers for 5G then yes, it could slow everything down if they don't upgrade the back bone bandwidth.

For example, lets say they have a 10 gig circuit feeding the tower and this 10 gig used to serve 3g and 4g. Now they added the 5G band but didn't upgrade the 10 gig circuit feeding the tower but had to allocate say 5 gig to the 5G band, there you have a problem.

/ Cell phones....3g, 4g, and 5g #4  
I doubt 5G has rolled out in very many rural areas. 5G does not use the normal cell towers but many small individual antennas. This is why most all 5G that I know of is available in big cities. I've even read that you can have a 5G signal, walk a block and not have it! 5G is way over hyped as far as availability by the cell companies in my opinion. I'm sure once 5G has rolled out to significant areas, the higher bandwidth of 5G will cause the cell providers to prioritize their system capacity to the higher speed technology.

I think the slow down in general right now is due to the current circumstances. Lot's of internet traffic from home schooling and working from home.

I do remember going from a 3G hot spot to 4G hot spot years ago. I did note then that 3G was worse after 4G rollout. I think that is just from the cell companies dedicating/prioritizing more bandwidth to the more current faster technology.

/ Cell phones....3g, 4g, and 5g #5  
The process is called "milking sheep"...it was primarily developed by Steve Jobs and Apple...!

/ Cell phones....3g, 4g, and 5g #6  
Well Im still not complaining. Remember all to well the days of dial up modems, even with the 14.4 k modem and AOLs you got mail. Cell phones weren't capable of data for sometime after I think.

/ Cell phones....3g, 4g, and 5g #7  
Apple took plan from Edward Bernays who convinced American women to smoke cigarettes 100 years ago, sprinkled on some Polaroid Camera, and got addicted sheep salivating.
Pretty much been marketing plan of computer world since everybody went nuts to get Hayes Stack 1200 baud modem in 1980s.
Buying public is well conditioned to throw out what ain't yet paid for and replace wid new.

What's the hurry to get to de end?

/ Cell phones....3g, 4g, and 5g #8  
There is also a problem with the change in web pages. Back when 3g was the fastest, web pages had to be efficient to work on cell phones. Now with the increased power of the phone and the faster connections, the web is bloated. The developers don't really think anyone important is going to be using a slow connection.

/ Cell phones....3g, 4g, and 5g #9  
You know - I don't give a good darn about how many "G's" my cell phone has. I have an Apple Iphone XR and all I want it to do is make phone calls. It seems to do that fairly well. It's my only phone and that's all I use it for.

Thank you ........

/ Cell phones....3g, 4g, and 5g #10  
Apple were fined for deliberately slowing down older phones when new models came out. Wouldn't be at all surprised if networks did that too.