CD player and radio for the shop

/ CD player and radio for the shop #1  

jaxs

Elite Member
Tractor
841 ford,MF65,Cub Lowboy,,Ford 600
A friend moved into a new home that came prewired with sound system and gave me his old equipment. He gave me 8 speakers but no cable or wire. I will buy cables for connecting equipment together. Speakers will be spread throughout a 30 x50 building so will require several feet of wire. Amp has a dozen jacks and a dozen pair of screw lugs for speakers. My question is do I need shielded wire to speakers? I have a bunch of low volt hvac and irrigation wire,will it be ok for speakers?

/ CD player and radio for the shop #2  
Congratulations on the equip gift.

Speakers don't need shielded wire, in fact, it can cause problems. If you want the speakers a long way from the amplifier, my $0.02 would to be use heavy gauge wire (e.g. 12ga) for the long runs, and make sure that the polarity is the same for all the speakers. I find using paired wire with one lead red or ribbed helps keep the polarity correct.

All the best,

Peter

/ CD player and radio for the shop #3  
I've used 14/2 Romex for speakers without noticing any sort of issues. Most speaker wire that I've bought for different vehicles was just 18 gauge stranded copper wire.

/ CD player and radio for the shop #4  
+1 on the polarity issue, 14 gauge is probably okay, add that you should keep the wire lengths equal. Who has CD's anymore? I need to add a (cheap) MP4 player to my shop stereo (decent Kenwood amp).

/ CD player and radio for the shop #5  
I think you need speaker wire specifically for the best results.

/ CD player and radio for the shop #6  
   / CD player and radio for the shop #8  
Half the price on Amazon > Amazon.com
Yeah, I wasn't shopping. I just grabbed the first link my duck-duck-go search found (amazed that the paid Amazon links didn't post higher than Lowes). Interesting that BOTH are "copper clad" wire, never tried that kind before. I'd rather it be full copper - but that'd be more $.

/ CD player and radio for the shop #10  
I've always just used lamp cord.
I think the strand count is higher on speaker cable. Lamp cord does work. But if sound quality is the goal speaker wire is the best choice.