cat 5 / 6 coupler? ( plug 2 cables together to get extra length? )

/ cat 5 / 6 coupler? ( plug 2 cables together to get extra length? ) #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
Honestly never tried this. Just wondering. is there such a beast as a cat 5/6 coupler. IE.. say I have a cat 5 cable that is 10' too short, can i get a couple and a 10' cable and extend it? I assume something passive.. like an rj style coupler uesd on a telco cord??

/ cat 5 / 6 coupler? ( plug 2 cables together to get extra length? ) #2  
It's a RJ45 coupler.

/ cat 5 / 6 coupler? ( plug 2 cables together to get extra length? )
   / cat 5 / 6 coupler? ( plug 2 cables together to get extra length? ) #4  
Look carefully at the RJ45 coupler, some are straight and some are twist (1 to 1, 2 to 2 etc or 1 to 8, 2 to 7 etc). A few years ago had some issues, sort of like the difference between RJ11 and RJ12.

Dave

/ cat 5 / 6 coupler? ( plug 2 cables together to get extra length? ) #5  
I have one that I've used in my home network for years. Never had a problem.

/ cat 5 / 6 coupler? ( plug 2 cables together to get extra length? ) #6  
and works fine? won't interrup network signals.. no lines crossing..e tc?
I have used various straight through F-F RJ45 couplers on CAT5, CAT5e and CAT6 cables with no ill effects.

Aaron Z

thanks guys.

I have a cat 5 run that terminates into a cable.. not a jack .. and the cable is about a 2' stub out of the wall. and the cat 5 device needs to set at least 5' away.. thus i need a jumper. OR i need to totally rearange everything and make a special shelf on the wall. :)

/ cat 5 / 6 coupler? ( plug 2 cables together to get extra length? ) #8  
Or cut the plug off, install a jack, then plug a cable directly in.

Aaron Z

/ cat 5 / 6 coupler? ( plug 2 cables together to get extra length? ) #9  
The RJ-45 coupler will work up to a point. CAT 5/6 cables are constructed with different twist rates on each pair within the cables. These twist rates are very precise and critical to preventing interference among the pairs. The coupler will compromise the the pair twist. If it is a short run (50 ft) it should not cause much if any trouble. If it is a real long run 200 ft plus may have issues.

The RJ-45 coupler will work up to a point. CAT 5/6 cables are constructed with different twist rates on each pair within the cables. These twist rates are very precise and critical to preventing interference among the pairs. The coupler will compromise the the pair twist. If it is a short run (50 ft) it should not cause much if any trouble. If it is a real long run 200 ft plus may have issues.

the total run is likey 150-200 feet. but the union i want to use would only be adding another few feet. say 5' at most..