Cat 2 subsoiler?

/ Cat 2 subsoiler? #1  

MinnesotaEric

Tractor
Kioti NX6010
Hello guys,

I'm looking for a CAT 2 subsoiler that I can use to get down to the 48" frost line dragging through my sandy northern MN soil.

On the other side of the Atlantic, the cheeky Brits sell a subsoiler that I'm interested in under the J. Silk Agriculture name but I cannot find USA dealers and shipping from England is uber expensive. The closest design I'm found to the J. Silk style is a too small Cimmeron CAT 1 subsoiler.

Cimarron Middlebuster, Subsoiler, and 3-in-1 Pg. 1

Anybody know of a CAT 2 compatible subsoiler with adjustable depth and a sheer pin style suitable for running cable under my 48" frostline?

383572d1405975829-cat-2-subsoiler-1500x2000-jpg

Attachments

• 1500x2000.jpg
    1500x2000.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 3,468
   / Cat 2 subsoiler? #2  
You won't find a fixed shank subsoiler with 48" capability because your hitch geometry won't allow it to run that deep and still pick it out of the ground. True subsiolers typically don't run more than about 24" deep which is below the root zone of most crops and near the limit of the depth of most mechanically created soil compaction. If you do find what you are looking for, you aren't likely to have sufficient traction available to drag it through the ground in less than about 3 passes.

/ Cat 2 subsoiler? #5  
This is unrelated somewhat butttttt. I saw your picture and not living in the North and understanding having to bury water lines below the frost level and all, I had 2 questions which you answered.

One was why such a deep running implement and two what was the tube on the rear used for? Learn something new every day.

Mark

/ Cat 2 subsoiler? #6  
The tube is to feed a wire or line of sorts into the ground without having to drag it through the soil. You have a spool of cable or whatever that travels with you, you attach the end where you start running. As you move forward the tube protects and guides the cable into the ground as it feeds from the spool. The typical alternative is to just tie the line at the bottom of the subsoiler and drag the line into and through the ground with the spool at the starting point, which can damage many types of cables.

/ Cat 2 subsoiler? #7  
The tube is to feed a wire or line of sorts into the ground without having to drag it through the soil. You have a spool of cable or whatever that travels with you, you attach the end where you start running. As you move forward the tube protects and guides the cable into the ground as it feeds from the spool. The typical alternative is to just tie the line at the bottom of the subsoiler and drag the line into and through the ground with the spool at the starting point, which can damage many types of cables.

That's the way the phone co. lays line around here but for digger power they use a D4 or so Cat. Seems like the way to do it.

Thanks,
Mark

/ Cat 2 subsoiler? #8  
Eric, did you ever come up with one of these?

Also, you only run 48" for frost line? We had frost at 7' last year.