Case-IH Farmall 45A

/ Case-IH Farmall 45A
Great looking tractor and you have a little helper.

Thanks, she was giving me heck for getting "her" Kubota all muddy today which she noticed while checking out her Farmall. She is a good kid though :)

/ Case-IH Farmall 45A
I will say this, I drove the tractor home yesterday from my friends machine shop 3 miles away and at full throttle in the highest gear this tractor has it is incredibly smooth and quiet. I really am impressed with it, much more so then the Kubota. If I buy another cabbed vineyard tractor I am thinking it will have green paint on it unless Kubota really steps up their game. There is no reason I should be this impressed over a $15k tractor and as equally unimpressed by a $43k cabbed tractor. Just seems backwards :(

/ Case-IH Farmall 45A
All hooked up and working. I'll try to get a video if anyone wants to see it actually in action.

ForumRunner_20120310_115650.png

ForumRunner_20120310_115708.png

ForumRunner_20120310_115719.png

ForumRunner_20120310_115731.png

/ Case-IH Farmall 45A #24  
I would like to see it in action. I am impressed with this tractor as I hadn't heard much about the farmalls. Sounds like more bang for the buck then what the Deere 5d/e gives you, or at least it appears that way.

/ Case-IH Farmall 45A
I would like to see it in action. I am impressed with this tractor as I hadn't heard much about the farmalls. Sounds like more bang for the buck then what the Deere 5d/e gives you, or at least it appears that way.

I'm not sure how it compares to the Deere but I have been real happy with this tractor so far. Its light so pulling a trailer full of posts in muddy conditions isn't ideal but since its only doing that task a few days out of the year (and hopefully when its dry) I am ok with the weight. My other tasks are tedding and raking hay so I wanted it light. I didn't go with any cast weights or fluids but I have thought of hanging a couple weights on the front to help with steering. I will see how it does in the hay fields before I do that though.

I do wish the rear remote had a detent but its not the end of the world. A bungee does the same thing :laughing:

I hadn't followed Case-IH much because I had been too busy and ruled out their vineyard tractors years ago. But when I decided to look at simple utility tractors I was looking originally at a Kubota L4400 2wd and the price was around the same as this Case-IH and I feel the Farmall 45A was a much nicer tractor then the L4400. I never did get a price on the MX5100 from Kubota but really couldn't wait much longer since I needed to get this unit ready to work. I have noticed now thought that CNH is really doing a great job packing a lot of features into more and more of their tractors and keeping the price low in the process. The new Farmall C line is really impressing me and I may look to add one of them some day to help with the hay and tillage work.

/ Case-IH Farmall 45A #27  
Thought I'd bring this thread back up and see how you are liking the 45a so far. Any problems or things you'd change?

I'm looking for a replacement for a '74 IH 454 Diesel and this tractor specs out fairly close (although a little lighter and not as many features). From what I've seen they are pretty competitively priced as well.

/ Case-IH Farmall 45A
Thought I'd bring this thread back up and see how you are liking the 45a so far. Any problems or things you'd change?

I'm looking for a replacement for a '74 IH 454 Diesel and this tractor specs out fairly close (although a little lighter and not as many features). From what I've seen they are pretty competitively priced as well.

The 45A has around 125 hours if I remember correctly. I've been replacing posts in the vineyards with it recently and it is still my favorite tractor on the farm. It has performed flawlessly.

As far as things to change, well that is a tough one. It does everything I ask of it and so far I've only gotten stuck once and it wasn't the tractors fault at all. I had a trailer that is 4" off the ground hooked to it driving on a new farm for the first time and discovered a wet spot. The trailer sunk and became an anchor. Other than that it has gone through a lot. I went with 2wd because I wanted the tightest turn radius possible and I've been happy with it. I would like a FWA version but only to add to the fleet, not to replace this one. I just like it that much. I would easily recommend this model to anyone looking just as I would easily buy another if I could justify it but currently the next tractor purchased will be around 100hp, fwa with cab for tillage and haying.

/ Case-IH Farmall 45A #29  
Thanks for the quick response. It'll mainly be used for bush hogging, pulling a manure spreader, and running a wood splitter, so we'd be looking at 2wd as well. Sounds like I should go by an IH dealer and check one out.

/ Case-IH Farmall 45A #30  
Has anyone ever heard of a conversion kit to put a stack on a 45a like the New Holland's have? I was told that the pipe from the NH will fit a Case but the front clip is a tad different and it does not curve enough to clear the hood.