Case IH 485

/ Case IH 485 #1  

NUTTERDW

I just purchased a CaseIH 485 around a 1990 model with a shuttle clutch on the dash. It only has 915 hours on it. My question is: Is it normal for the tractor to be free wheeling when
the engine is down but still in gear? I don't have any experience with the 485 with shuttle clutch. I have another 485 with out shuttle clutch. Don

/ Case IH 485 #2  
If it is a hydraulic wet clutch shuttle I wouldn't be surprised.
All of the various power shift and power shuttle tractors on the farm are somewhat free wheeling when the engine shuts down.
There is considerable drag in most of them.
My Branson with the Power Shuttle definitely has no engine hold back when shut off.

/ Case IH 485
If it is a hydraulic wet clutch shuttle I wouldn't be surprised.
All of the various power shift and power shuttle tractors on the farm are somewhat free wheeling when the engine shuts down.
There is considerable drag in most of them.
My Branson with the Power Shuttle definitely has no engine hold back when shut off.
Thanks for the comeback. That is what I thought but wanted another opinion.

/ Case IH 485 #4  
Yes. It's normal. The clutch packs are activated by hydraulic pressure which doesn't exist when the engine is off.

/ Case IH 485
Thanks for the information.I just needed to know that it was normal and that I did not have a problem in the tractor. I was used to my other 485 and did not set the park brake unless I was on a hill, but I found out it does not take much to get this one rolling. Thankfully I was still in the seat when it first started moving.