Case IH 385 fuel cross-over line.

/ Case IH 385 fuel cross-over line. #1  

geneP

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case-International 385, Kubota L5450 w/LA1150A loader
The tractor has a plastic line running between the two fuel tanks. Occasionally something will catch on the line and pull one end of the plastic line from the fuel tank. This obviously causes a rapid fuel leak. It happened again this morning while cutting in some cutover land. At the price of diesel I would like to put a permanent fix on it. I haven't come up with a solution on my own, and thought someone on here smarter than I has found a fix. Any advice appreciated.

/ Case IH 385 fuel cross-over line. #2  
The tractor has a plastic line running between the two fuel tanks. Occasionally something will catch on the line and pull one end of the plastic line from the fuel tank. This obviously causes a rapid fuel leak. It happened again this morning while cutting in some cutover land. At the price of diesel I would like to put a permanent fix on it. I haven't come up with a solution on my own, and thought someone on here smarter than I has found a fix. Any advice appreciated.

Sounds like it is not the original line? The original line is fitted to the shape of the tractor and is tucked out of the way and does not hang down. Lots of preformed bends.

/ Case IH 385 fuel cross-over line.
It is the original line. It has the preformed bends and protective spiral wrapping. It is tucked in close above the PYO shaft, but is vulnerable outside the tractor housing where it jumps across to the tank connection.

I was hoping Case IH or someone has devised a fix. If the fuel filler cap was on the side that delivers fuel to the engine, I would just use the tank on that side.

/ Case IH 385 fuel cross-over line. #4  
It is the original line. It has the preformed bends and protective spiral wrapping. It is tucked in close above the PYO shaft, but is vulnerable outside the tractor housing where it jumps across to the tank connection.

I was hoping Case IH or someone has devised a fix. If the fuel filler cap was on the side that delivers fuel to the engine, I would just use the tank on that side.

I had that line off on the 495 a couple weeks ago to confirm the line wasn't plugged. I did notice it can sit a couple different ways, one with "passenger" side sticking out farther, I tucked it all in and it's pretty protected.

Tractor has been on the farm 30 years and never caught the line on anything, It does bushhog some but otherwise but I don't drive through brush and sticks with it. I'll take a photo of it next time I've got it out if I remember and you can compare.

You could cap both sides of that line, completely fill the tank and it will just pull from the "passenger side" The "driver" side sump would just never get used, but you'd still have about 2/3 of the fuel tank usable, maybe just drain the "driver" sump once and a while if worried about fuel age.

I would appreciate a picture of how your line is routed. Maybe there is improvement to be made in mine. I don't know about your 495, but the filler cap on mine is on the "driver" side. If I cap the cross-over line, how would I fill the "passenger" side?

Edit: I overlooked the connection between the two sides that runs behind the seat. That might be the answer to prevent more spilled fuel. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
   / Case IH 385 fuel cross-over line. #6  
I would appreciate a picture of how your line is routed. Maybe there is improvement to be made in mine. I don't know about your 495, but the filler cap on mine is on the "driver" side. If I cap the cross-over line, how would I fill the "passenger" side?

Edit: I overlooked the connection between the two sides that runs behind the seat. That might be the answer to prevent more spilled fuel. Thanks for the suggestion.

Here are the sides, the coiled part tucks right under the top link. Lowest part of the line is several inches above the bottom of the axle housings.

Attachments

• IMG_5832.jpg
    IMG_5832.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5833.jpg
    IMG_5833.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5834.jpg
    IMG_5834.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 81
Thank you for those pictures. My line definitely doesn't tuck in on the "passenger" side like your pictures show. Looks fine on the left side. I bought this tractor used, but I've had it for 18 years. The line on the "passenger" side looks to have been damaged at the connection to the steel pipe as it only goes on the pipe about 1/2" and it is too short to fit up against the axle like yours does. I've looked on line for a new tube, but don't see any listed. I'll try to call a dealer Monday to see if a new one is available. Thanks for your help.

/ Case IH 385 fuel cross-over line. #8  
Interesting. On both my Kubota M's the saddle tanks are plumbed together underneath but Kubota puts a metal protector (skid) plate over the line that is kind of 'U' shaped and bolts to the bottom of the transmission so the crossover line is totally protected from getting snagged.

/ Case IH 385 fuel cross-over line. #9  
I ran new brake line material for a crossover line. I was able to bend and shape it in quite snugly.

/ Case IH 385 fuel cross-over line. #10  
Not a bad idea. Much more resistant to failure than rubber or neoprene and alloy brake line is easy to form too.