Carpenter bees!

/ Carpenter bees! #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I have carpenter bees, they look like bumble bees and they chew holes about 3/8" in wood. I spray what I can but it's a tough battle.
The main problem I need advice with is right now I'm having a large barn built and they're drilling as it's being built! Treated or untreated wood, doesn't matter. Is there a spray or something I can do? I could call an exterminator (expensive), I thought about old motor oil (messy).
Any ideas, thanks.

/ Carpenter bees! #2  
Let em bee, your flowers, trees, garden, etc. will appreciate it.

/ Carpenter bees! #3  
I have carpenter bees, they look like bumble bees and they chew holes about 3/8" in wood. I spray what I can but it's a tough battle.
The main problem I need advice with is right now I'm having a large barn built and they're drilling as it's being built! Treated or untreated wood, doesn't matter. Is there a spray or something I can do? I could call an exterminator (expensive), I thought about old motor oil (messy).
Any ideas, thanks.

Google Carpenter bee traps. You can make one from a mason jar and scrap would in about 15 min - and they work.

My chickens love em.

/ Carpenter bees!
The problem is I had an old shed I tore down a couple years ago. Lumber would have a hole drilled in middle, going up then over. A 2"x12" in places you could snap in two with your hands.
They're highly destructive and there would be piles of sawdust everywhere.

/ Carpenter bees! #6  
I'm the opposite. Battle them. Battle them hard!!!!! My neighbor has two buildings that have been destroyed by the bastards. Now I'm getting them...

I built some traps that work. Rather than a lengthy verbal description, here's a couple pics. I caught a dozen last Spring in three traps. I have accepted that I'll need to continue this with diligence every year since a half mile away they have a metropolitan establishment...?. :(

20190508_092449.jpg

20190508_092505.jpg

/ Carpenter bees! #7  
I had them pretty bad, and battled them with traps and some of the grease insecticide smeared on the holes. I changed to a 2 gallon pump sprayer adjusted to a jet stream, and use either Permethrin (last a couple weeks) or Bifen (lasts a couple months) squirted in and around the holes. You can buy either online and mix an ounce or 2 per gallon of water. The old holes attract new bees, and spraying them works really well keeping them under control and limits the damage they do.

/ Carpenter bees! #8  
I had them pretty bad, and battled them with traps and some of the grease insecticide smeared on the holes. I changed to a 2 gallon pump sprayer adjusted to a jet stream, and use either Permethrin (last a couple weeks) or Bifen (lasts a couple months) squirted in and around the holes. You can buy either online and mix an ounce or 2 per gallon of water. The old holes attract new bees, and spraying them works really well keeping them under control and limits the damage they do.

Good stuff. I may try spraying this year in addition to my traps.

The "old hole" theory you mentioned is why traps work. Once in the jar the bee isn"t smart enough to go back out the lid hole. It simply goes to the light.

/ Carpenter bees! #9  
I fully advocate the traps and spray (the individual holes when you find them) method of defense.!!!

/ Carpenter bees! #10  
I had some move in shortly after building an exposed rafter canopy. Not knowing what else to do, I went out in evening close to sundown and filled all existing holes with silicone caulk. 3 evenings of this and no more new holes.
Build/setup traps as explained above but fill existing holes with caulk.