Cargo Container Footings

/ Cargo Container Footings #1  

RedRocker

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST, dual remotes, FEL.
I can't find any info on how to go about building some footings for a 40' container, it's my understanding you only need to support them at the corners. I'll have maybe a foot difference in elevation from front to back. If anybody has any ideas I'd like to hear them. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Cargo Container Footings #2  
I just put it on the ground. If the ground isn't flat (not the same as level) then you'll need to smooth it to prevent twist up of the box which will make opening doors difficult. I have found that the box will readily flex to conform to the ground and won't be rocky.

A guy could use railroad ties for a footing. I have seen pier blocks used on the corners too.

Not sure I would want it perfectly level. I think I would aim for tipping slightly towards the door and slightly to one side. Sideways so that water runs off of the side of the top and not dribbling over the doorway. Towards the door so that if you spill a gallon of water, AF, diesel, it will run out the doorway since ther are no drains in the back.

If you want a foundation, I would go buy a half dozen concrete blocks, the 4x8x16 size and make them level. A gravel bed beneath the container would further improve drianage and aior movement.

/ Cargo Container Footings #3  
Mike, I think concrete blocks would work fine, but I'd put them every 10' for long-term setup just like a mobile home. I think up on top of your hill I'd want some piers and MH tiedowns too at the corners with straps to the lift points. I don't think you'd need much more than that, but you are pretty exposed up there on that hill top.

/ Cargo Container Footings #4  
When I had two of them, I just smoothed out the ground, got it pretty level and spread 4 inches of rock for a base.

Cheap, easy and simple.

Eddie

/ Cargo Container Footings
Thanks for the help, I'm headed up there this weekend to clear off a spot, then I can see what I have to work with level wise.

/ Cargo Container Footings #6  
Concrete block when stacked core side up will sink into the ground. Concrete block when stacked on the side are weak and prone to collapse. Padio blocks won't be strong enough and will break in half. Timber cribbing is proably the best way to go. Don't just stack the timbers. Build them up with 4 sides like a log cabin. They'll be much more stable when things start sinking into the ground.

/ Cargo Container Footings #7  
I used cap blocks. (I think they were 4x8x16) I know they were solid. Here's how I did it... Level site prior to container arriving. Push container in place. Lift one end and put cap blocks under corners and set container down. Go to other end, lift it up and put blocks under it so it was pitched towards the other end where the doors are. Set container down, watch cap blocks disapper into the non-compacted soil. Lift and put more cap blocks under. Set container down and watch cap blocks disappear. You see where this is going dont you /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Eventually one of two end points will happen. 1. You will run out of cap blocks and abandon this idea, or 2. you will eventually make a piling made out of cap blocks that will support the container. I was just about to run out of blocks when it finally held firm. That was 2 years ago and it hasn't moved since then. BTW all the heavy work was scheduled when some dozer work was being done. A Deere 750 had no problems pushing or lifting a 40' container.

Mike

/ Cargo Container Footings #8  
I have a 40' and a 20' at my farm. Both of them are just sitting on the ground. I have a d4 dozer and it will just barely pick up the end of a 40' container.

/ Cargo Container Footings
I've got no way to pick up the end, I was thinking of a poured footing that wouldn't get knocked over when they slid the container off the truck. That's why I didn't think any kind of stacked brick would work very well.

/ Cargo Container Footings #10  
RedRocker,

Has the container been delivered yet??

If not, it's realy easy to for the driver to put it exactly where you want it. He tilts the truck bed and lowers on corner to the exact spot you want it.

On mine, he nailed it to the inch!!!

Once the one end is down, then he drives forward and the container slides off the truck to the exact place you want it.

Just make sure he has room in front to pull forward.

And to add to my earlier post, gravel works really well for a base. If you start putting down concret blocks or some other material, will you also be creating homes for rodents, snakes and insects???

When my containers were in place, I poured cement under the ends to keep the critters out.

Eddie

Attachments

• 877929-Eddie\'s pics01 113 (Small).jpg
    877929-Eddie\'s pics01 113 (Small).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 927