carb doesn't fit back on

/ carb doesn't fit back on #11  
Re: carb doesn\'t fit back on

TWINKLE_TOES,
I'm just the middle man passing info.

Wen&Scruffy&JimBin and a couple of others seem to be else where lately, /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gifand i hope they return soon. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ carb doesn't fit back on

Twinkle Toes,
I bought this tractor back in July. It is my second tractor, first old one.

I pulled the carb because dripped gas when I turned the petcock on. It was really hard to start, basically flooding(plugs very wet). When I pulled the fuel bowl, I found the floats to be almost full of gas. So, I decided to throw a rebuild kit in while I was replacing the floats.

When I pulled it off, I found that RTV had been used as a carb gasket instead of a gasket. The carb had a 5/16 stud in front, but a 1/4 bolt and and nut in the back.

While putting in the Tisco rebuild kit for a Zenith 161 carb(bought based on year of tractor, and the fact it was a Zenith), I found the floats and jets looked the same. But, the choke and throttle cross shafts were about 1/8 too long. I went ahead and put a 5/16 stud in the back of the carb.

I went to put it on, and that's when I found the the carb stud spacing to be different than the intake hole spacing. That's why the 1/4 bolt was on one side; the carb would not fit otherwise.

So, the carb stud spacing is different, AND the throttle/choke cross shafts in the rebuild kit don't fit...

So, that's where I stand. The carb does not fir when attempting to properly install it. Rebuild kit parts did not fit(I put the original throttle and choke shafts back in).

I'd like to fix it right and proper. What do I do?!?

I have plugs, wires, rotor, cap, and a valve cover gasket. I want to do the complete tune and valve adjust. The plugs look funky, and the valves are 0.014-0.024 warm. I need to get the carb done up before I work on anything else though.

I'd rather fess up the bucks and have the correct equipment, than to reuse the wrong equipment.

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ carb doesn't fit back on

Bates has a new Zenith replacement for $235. When they have a rebuilt in stock, they go for $195 plus core.

The folks at Bates could not cross reference the numbers on this carb. They concur with the folks on ytmag that it may be off a Allis or something...

I have a message out to Charlie and Blaze, who advertise on ytmag.com for used parts. I'll see what they say.

The one off of Ebay has a couple days left. It's only at $23 right now.

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif