Captain Philips: Somali Pirates. Any sailors Here?

/ Captain Philips: Somali Pirates. Any sailors Here? #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
I just watched a documentary on the Discovery Channel the subject of which was the hijacking of the Mersk Alabama by Somali pirates. It was very interesting, and of course as you all know, the pirates were killed, except for the leader, who was aboard the ship getting medical treatment for his injured hand.

I know nothing about ships and sailors, but after it was all over, I had a question or two that I thought maybe some of you seafaring folks might be able to answer. It seems to me that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" applies in this instance.

My question: Why can't they do something to prevent the pirates from boarding the ship? It seems to me that they could arm and train the crew to repulse an invasion. These ships have radar, and so they would have some forewarning. Why couldn't 10 or 20 men armed with M-16s repulse a small crew of pirates who have to attach a grappling hook and climb a rope to get into the ship? Am I missing something? At the end of the documentary, they said that pirates had attempted to take this same ship 4 or 5 times since the incident with Captain Philips.

/ Captain Philips: Somali Pirates. Any sailors Here? #2  
I just watched a documentary on the Discovery Channel the subject of which was the hijacking of the Mersk Alabama by Somali pirates. It was very interesting, and of course as you all know, the pirates were killed, except for the leader, who was aboard the ship getting medical treatment for his injured hand.

I know nothing about ships and sailors, but after it was all over, I had a question or two that I thought maybe some of you seafaring folks might be able to answer. It seems to me that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" applies in this instance.

My question: Why can't they do something to prevent the pirates from boarding the ship? It seems to me that they could arm and train the crew to repulse an invasion. These ships have radar, and so they would have some forewarning. Why couldn't 10 or 20 men armed with M-16s repulse a small crew of pirates who have to attach a grappling hook and climb a rope to get into the ship? Am I missing something? At the end of the documentary, they said that pirates had attempted to take this same ship 4 or 5 times since the incident with Captain Philips.

Great question...on why not have barbs all around the side of the ship that would shred any unauthorized boarders....There has to be a way...other than just letting hobo pirates take the whole ship...geeez..

/ Captain Philips: Somali Pirates. Any sailors Here? #3  
I said when I first heard this story, pour a pan of boiling water on the guy climbing the rope. He will definitely let go......

My military side says arm the ship with a trained offensive person. Arm him with various devices. But for sure with a rocket propelled grenade launcher. Warn the approaching boat verbally, then a warning firearms shot, then finish the task with the launcher. All within the first minute they are too close.

No need for this stuff to happen at all.

/ Captain Philips: Somali Pirates. Any sailors Here? #4  
I saw the movie a few weeks ago and as always had a night to think about it.

SAFETY! If you make a ship that is difficult to board, you would probably make one that is equally difficult to deboard. What a STUPID notion of using padlocks against armed intruders!

I say hire mercenaries and just shoot the mothers! They might even do it for FREE! Like a vacation of sorts! Sure, you could use steam, flame throwers or other means, but why dick around? There has to be a point when the good guys just say, enough is enough, and the world stops protecting and siding with the villans!

What so many people seem incapable of realizing is that this would ONLY have to happen ONCE! The total destruction of a pirate vessle and crew by way of a belt fed 50 cal, or a mini gun would be so much nicer! And yes, post it on You Tube as a warning for all!

The CREWS of a ship are various trades people, not combat soldiers! Nor are they paid for such duty, nor does the insurance cover that sort of thing! They are largly Indians and Philipinos earning pathetically low wages! The last thing in the world I would want near me is a person not fully trained and comfortable with the use of weapons. And not everybody has the stomach to kill people nor risk being maimed or killed! Contrary to Hollywood, high powered weapons firing full metal jacketed ammunition on a metal ship would be a very nasty affair indeed!

Not sure how accurate the movie was. Had I been the guy that stepped on the glass, I would have killed half the people on the ship, right then and there!

Last edited:
   / Captain Philips: Somali Pirates. Any sailors Here? #5  
My question: Why can't they do something to prevent the pirates from boarding the ship? It seems to me that they could arm and train the crew to repulse an invasion. These ships have radar, and so they would have some forewarning. Why couldn't 10 or 20 men armed with M-16s repulse a small crew of pirates who have to attach a grappling hook and climb a rope to get into the ship? Am I missing something?

I think it is a maritime law issue and has to do with laws of the country that you are coming from and going to. I personally think there should be an agreed upon allowance for a reasonable stash of small arms to defend against these attacks.

/ Captain Philips: Somali Pirates. Any sailors Here? #6  
what they need to do is Hang a couple of these Mothers.

/ Captain Philips: Somali Pirates. Any sailors Here? #7  
It seems to me that they could arm and train the crew to repulse an invasion. These ships have radar, and so they would have some forewarning. Why couldn't 10 or 20 men armed with M-16s repulse a small crew of pirates who have to attach a grappling hook and climb a rope to get into the ship? Am I missing something? At the end of the documentary, they said that pirates had attempted to take this same ship 4 or 5 times since the incident with Captain Philips.

A lot of the Somalis have 20mm auto cannons.

/ Captain Philips: Somali Pirates. Any sailors Here? #8  
   / Captain Philips: Somali Pirates. Any sailors Here?
   / Captain Philips: Somali Pirates. Any sailors Here? #10  
how do they mount that in those flimsy boats?

A lot of them are flimsy and little, but some are big enough for a bigger gun.

And then there are the RPG's.