Capless fuel tanks... is the idea as dumb as it seems?

/ Capless fuel tanks... is the idea as dumb as it seems? #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I just took over a 2017 (?) Chevy pickup with this. The first time that I bought fuel I thought "What a way to let dust into the tank." I've had it about 4 weeks and it starts hard, like the fuel pump is going; a couple of times I didn't think that it was going to start. (the first time would have meant a 12 mile walk to phone coverage... in the pouring rain.) Has anybody had any problems with these, such as dirt or water in the tank?

/ Capless fuel tanks... is the idea as dumb as it seems? #2  
It looks like a solution in search of a problem to me. Don’t they at least have a rubber seal on the door that goes over it?

/ Capless fuel tanks... is the idea as dumb as it seems? #3  
the flapper valve is supposed to seal it..

/ Capless fuel tanks... is the idea as dumb as it seems? #4  
I have looked at a few of them, as I have worked on the vehicles.

Some have very little protection against dust, and winter road grime. So, it accumulates on the filler valve, to drop in the tank when the fuel nozzle is inserted.

And, some have a kind of cover on the inside of the fuel door, that covers up, and protects the filler valve.

My Wife's CRV is in the latter category. Their system seems to work okay.

As I expected, the aftermarket world is offering some options. Google, "cap less filler covers".

/ Capless fuel tanks... is the idea as dumb as it seems? #5  
We have several of the on rural patrol vehicles. Somehow, we haven’t had many issues. However, when we do, it’s completely f’d. Our gravel has very fine dust and it gets in everywhere. Stupid idea, but not the doom and gloom we all expected. I still prefer a screw cap.

/ Capless fuel tanks... is the idea as dumb as it seems? #7  
My 15 RAM eco-diesel had no fuel cap from the factory, I added one the first week I had it.

/ Capless fuel tanks... is the idea as dumb as it seems? #8  
My 2013 car and 2017 truck are capless. It's great, no problems and easy fueling. No cap banging against the side of car.

/ Capless fuel tanks... is the idea as dumb as it seems? #9  
I have mostly heard that they are problem free.

/ Capless fuel tanks... is the idea as dumb as it seems? #10  
Yeah, living on dusty gravel roads, I am not fond of the idea of capless fuel tanks. Like has been stated, a solution in search of a problem. Yet another good reason not to upgrade any of my vehicles for a while. What you do you expect from OEM's who have R&D people who have never used a pickup truck except for basic transportation in the city.