Canine Cognitive Disease (CCD)

/ Canine Cognitive Disease (CCD) #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
My dog Kali is a rescue and is 12 to 14 years old. Large dog, 80#. She recent began showing symptoms of CCD, aka dementia. My vet prescribed Anipryl. I have not administered it yet. Does anyone have experience with this drug?

/ Canine Cognitive Disease (CCD) #2  
no but why you ask ?

This might be unsensitive but the Vet is the professional if you have question you should've ask him not folks on a tractor forum.... Its hard and I fell your pain. Good luck with her.

/ Canine Cognitive Disease (CCD) #3  
Sorry can't help you, luckily I haven't had the issue.

/ Canine Cognitive Disease (CCD) #6  
Sorry to hear Orezok. No experience with the drug, but it was suggested to me by vet (after it wasn't needed). A question. How recently did the symptoms begin, and related to that, how soon after her last Heartguard? The reason I ask, I had an older Basset Hound that took Heartguard his whole life, then started exhibiting inconsistent dementia symptoms after Heartguard once he hit 13 or so. First time it happened, I thought he might have had a stroke due to the symptoms, (weakness, difficulty walking, confusion, loss of appetite, hypersalivation, & fear of stepping over the threshold) and vet suggested Dog Alzheimer meds (I'm pretty sure it was Anipryl), but the way she said it, it seemed she was offering it more for my benefit than for Dusty's. Given that by the time I got an appointment for him to be seen (5 days) the symptoms were gone, his blood Chems were all good, & he was his happy self again, I declined. Symptoms would last 2-4 days accompanied by loss of appetite, excess drinking, agitation, panting, excess salivation, confusion & weakness. Not sure if it was a QC problem on Heartguard, or if he simply couldn't metabolize it the way he normally did. Didn't happen each month either, maybe 3 times in the last year or so. Confusion is one of the symptoms of Heartguard sensitivity, but that usually affects only herding dogs with a genetic sensitivity. Vet told me I was imagining things & there was no way a non-genetically sensitive dog could develop a sensitivity heartguard. But after everything we were told about human meds during covid, I now take all medical advice with a grain of salt. Hope Kali gets better & that the drug works for her.

/ Canine Cognitive Disease (CCD)
Thanks all for your input. I’ve used the same vet for over 15 years and I have absolute trust in his recommendations. The reason I asked is that he told me that it is ineffective with some dogs and some have significant side issues. This site has many members with dogs so real world is valuable

/ Canine Cognitive Disease (CCD)
Alex pops I live in the desert and mosquitos and heart worm are virtually non existent here due to the dryness. Thanks for your concern

/ Canine Cognitive Disease (CCD) #9  
We've had experience with doggy dementia but not that medication.

Our jack Russell started showing weird symptoms. Would randomly forget where he was, and just stop and stare.

Had some other random issues when discussed with the vet that led him to believe it was the dementia.

It would come and go, and seemed to be similar to an adult with sun downers (confused in the evenings, but fine after a good night's rest).

He ended up getting into the neighbors compost pile and had to be taken to the vets. This dog was tripping his balls off for 2 days straight. Eyes rolling, dizzy as all get out, pupils dilated, ect.......

Vet informed us that the black fuzzies you see on rotten meat produces a neurotoxin when ingested.

We ended up having to put him down about 6 months after that. The toxin ended up effecting his organs and they began to shut down. He was 16 at the time.

The sundowner was fairly easy to manage with him. He roamed the house during the day, and then kennel him when we went to bed. We had a fenced in yard, so if he got lost, I would just walk out and scoop him up and bring him inside.

/ Canine Cognitive Disease (CCD) #10  
I feel you, orezok. Big dogs rarely make it more than 10-12 years. Enjoy the time you have left. Our last was taken well before her time.