Can you cut a u-joint spider out?

/ Can you cut a u-joint spider out? #1  

dixiedrifter

Silver Member
I'm trying to replace a u-joint bearing in a large PTO shaft, and my vice is not quite big enough to handle two sockets to drive it out.

Can I cut the spider out with a torch or welder, then press out the bearing cups one by one?

/ Can you cut a u-joint spider out? #2  
I wouldn't cut the cross/spider out you can us use it to knock the caps out.
To get U-joint caps out, I set 1 U-joint yoke loosely down in the vice leaving the other yoke laying flat on top of the vice.
Hit the yoke (the one down in the vice) at the heavy point toward the bottom of the yoke where the driveshaft goes in with a good sized hammer.
The U-joint cross will drive the caps right out. Once you knock out 1 cap, flip the yokes on the vice and do the same to the next cap till they are all out.

/ Can you cut a u-joint spider out?
I tried that, wouldn't budge even with a hand sledge.

Tried putting it in the vice and beating on the handle to tighten it, then I tapped on the u-joint... after doing this several minutes it just barely moved.

Bout 10 minutes ago I said to heck with it, took the welder, cranked it up on 225 and burnt the sucker in two.

Took a lil wd-40 to cool down the cups/bearing while leaving the yoke hot.

Went to the vice, put it in with a socket sitting on top of the cap, tightened it up and drove them out... not without a darn good beating though.

Them thangs was in there TIGHT.

/ Can you cut a u-joint spider out? #4  
Absolutely - as far as I'm concerned it is the only way to go.

Its fast and effective. Once the 'spider' is cut its also much easier to press out the caps, because you are only pushing one at a time and because you don't have to fight a heavy, floppy, driveshaft.

Be careful with a hammer to remove the caps, though. If you can manage to press them out its less likely to cause grief.

Just a side note - some u-joints use an internal retaining clip.

I use a small hand grinder. Be careful not to cut into anything you are not supposed to.

/ Can you cut a u-joint spider out? #6  
Go for it without any hesitation. That was the only way to replace the front axle shaft u-joint on my 1994 Ford F250. It worked like a dream and saved me hours of work. I didn't have to pull the front end apart to take the shaft out.