Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out?

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out?
The other issue with the Concord was, as I understand it, that it never would have been...or could have been.... a viable business venture without the level of government subsidy it got from France and England. Without that it was a no go in terms of ROI. If the project had relied on private or corporate capital alone it never would have gotten past the initial concept. And since governments run things sooooo well..............the end was predictable.
Well, apparently this project is getting an economic boost from NC LOL

I'm just wondering with the seating capacity, the price of fuel, the sonic boom legal issue, exactly why this seems like a viable option to invest state money in for economic growth?

When I read the newspaper article, I was just scratching my head why this is such a great idea? I get it, go faster. I get the fact that there are some long flights, but I'm also just happy to get there in a day LOL

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #12  
Pretend this forum is a supersonic plane.

Please pay me $10,000 for each of your posts.

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #14  
Aside from one crash, the Concorde had a great safety record. The cost of that safe transport was incredible, when compared to any other means of transport. Fuel cost, and the very frequent need for engine overhaul - they worked great, but not for long!

More basically, air drag increases as a square of the speed. So, twice as fast, four times the drag, which must be overcome with for times the power (so heavy, expensive, fuel consuming engines). To reduce this effect, fly much higher, thinner air = less drag (and you can go direct a lot - no traffic!) But it takes a lot to get up there, and cabin structure and reliability must be much greater = more cost and weight to continue to provide a safe cabin atmosphere against the much greater pressure differential.

When I drive my diesel VW on the highway (which costs pennies a miles), I can notice the improved fuel economy resulting from driving more slowly. I budget a little more time for my travel, go more slowly, and get there for less cost, and still on time. I sure don't need to pay much the higher cost, and carbon footprint to get across the world in half the time. The military may need supersonic aircraft, civilians don't - no one's time is that valuable!

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #15  
What Roy mentioned, not enough travelers would pay roughly double to arrive in roughly half the time. Nobody makes money on empty seats. The YB 70 project was dropped for good after two were built and one had crashed, killing the crew.

The surviving example of that is in Dayton on display at the AF museum. In the '60s we assembled model kits of what we thought was the future when it was already an anachronism.

SAM and ICBM advances had diminished the advantage of high altitude military flight. Remember that technology is driven by profit potential and sold to us on a 'newer is better' wow-factor. btw, how's that 5-blade razor working for ya while saving up for a self-driving truck?

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #17  
The reality vs the dream. ;)

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #18  
To be clear, the Concorde crash occurred when the plane blew a tire on take off, seems like it hit something on the runway. The tire location on that design was such that debris hit the wing, broke a lot of key components including a major fuel leak,and brought the plane down. I think there was a fear of this occurring again among other economic concerns that made the plane no longer viable.

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #19  
To be clear, the Concorde crash occurred when the plane blew a tire on take off, seems like it hit something on the runway. The tire location on that design was such that debris hit the wing, broke a lot of key components including a major fuel leak,and brought the plane down. I think there was a fear of this occurring again among other economic concerns that made the plane no longer viable.
With newer materials, composites especially, could reduce weight and the possibility of punctures.
But, fuels costs and high consumption...just don't see much benefit in supersonic commercial aircraft

/ Can someone explain to me why supersonic business flight didn't work out? #20  
With newer materials, composites especially, could reduce weight and the possibility of punctures.
But, fuels costs and high consumption...just don't see much benefit in supersonic commercial aircraft
You wouldn't think there'd be a market for private jets either, but come to any college football town airport on a Saturday in fall and you'd be amazed at how many private jets there are.

I personally know of people that bring their kids to college in the fall, home and back to school at Thanksgiving and Christmas, spring break and back, and then home in the spring. That's 8 trips on a private jet for one kid (and maybe a couple of their friends) and $6-10K per trip. Then throw in a few football game weekends for 6 more trip legs. It's almost shocking. That's $140,000 on transportation for one family. And who knows where else they go without the kid??