Can someone explain how the CP302 Miller MIG Power source controls Amperage?

/ Can someone explain how the CP302 Miller MIG Power source controls Amperage? #1  

Ehanson

Silver Member
Tractor
S373-D
Like probably most MIG Power sources, I am wondering how the user chooses the welding amperage?
I see a single control on the CP302 Miller for voltage control, I have a Miller Xtreme 12VS wire feeder,
which has a control for wire speed, but I don't
understand how you choose the amperage? ( if you were running the CP302)
Is amperage requirement done automatically through the voltage setting?

/ Can someone explain how the CP302 Miller MIG Power source controls Amperage? #2  
Wire welding if a constant voltage process, the amperage is dependent on voltage and wire feed speed

/ Can someone explain how the CP302 Miller MIG Power source controls Amperage?
Wire welding if a constant voltage process, the amperage is dependent on voltage and wire feed speed
Yes, OK , I figured it must be something in the unit, (a circuit board, processor?) that can ramp up or down the amperage.
Kind of baffles me how, with different wire sizes, but must be able to do it somehow.
I know the Miller Xtreme 12VS has a switch for CV (constant voltage) & CA (constant amperage).
I thought MIGs would have three settings, voltage, amperage & wire speed.

/ Can someone explain how the CP302 Miller MIG Power source controls Amperage? #6  
I'm NOT familiar with either unit.

Use the weld calculator from Miller. Set voltage on the power source. The wire speed (IPM) setting on your suitcase feeder will set your. amperage.......I think:)

/ Can someone explain how the CP302 Miller MIG Power source controls Amperage? #7  
When running a CV Mig welder the wire speed controls the amperage. And there is a knob for the voltage.

Attachments

• LF 72 B.JPG
    LF 72 B.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 109
Ok, I think I get it, thankyou everyone!