Can lawnmower blades be sharpened with the bevel on the bottom?

/ Can lawnmower blades be sharpened with the bevel on the bottom? #1  

thankyouTBN

Tractor
Kubota B2150, Cub Cadet GT3100
Can lawnmower blades be sharpened with the bevel on the bottom?
“It’s just the way it’s always been done!”
I can imagine there is lift created by the upward slant of the bevel but I bet it’s not as much as the wings create on a high lift blade.
I’m going to experiment with this. Start grinding the bevel from the bottom without removing the blades. There’s going to be two bevels until grind back far enough. I never balance my blades. I’ve never had a problem damaging spindle bearings. I wonder…. SOMEBODY must’ve tried this before!

/ Can lawnmower blades be sharpened with the bevel on the bottom? #3  
This same topic was talked about here..

Other than making it easier to sharpen while installed I'm not seeing a real world benefit to it. If anything it might want to direct the grass down..

/ Can lawnmower blades be sharpened with the bevel on the bottom? #4  
No one stopping you from trying....but not gonna cut as good. Not only counteracting the lift by directing airflow down.....you actually have ~1/4" blade (thickness) that is below the cut line that is gonna batter the grass rather than the nice clean cut.

/ Can lawnmower blades be sharpened with the bevel on the bottom? #5  
If you're rough cutting, it won't make too much difference.

/ Can lawnmower blades be sharpened with the bevel on the bottom?

Other than making it easier to sharpen while installed I'm not seeing a real world benefit to it. If anything it might want to direct the grass down..
Thanks for sure. I did see that post. I did try to do a little bit of research on my own. I really think it’s just a matter of unquestioning tradition. I think there might be a little bit of lift from that bevel, but I would think it’s so totally turbulent down there that it really wouldn’t matter, except for the high lift wings. I still think they would far more overcome any lift from the upward bevel. I’m going to try it next sharpening.

/ Can lawnmower blades be sharpened with the bevel on the bottom? #7  
No one stopping you from trying....but not gonna cut as good. Not only counteracting the lift by directing airflow down.....you actually have ~1/4" blade (thickness) that is below the cut line that is gonna batter the grass rather than the nice clean cut.
I like to follow the recommendations, I try to sharpen my blades as often as I should. I know there are people out there that get away with cutting the grass with ridiculously dull blades. I know it’s not good for the grass, you want to get a nice clean from a razor sharp blade but that’s really I think it’s not totally a reality. I don’t think it’s gonna make very much of a difference. I just sharpen my blades.

I’m betting it’s only just an unquestioned tradition. I bet if you put a blade on a lawnmower that was completely flat on the front edge, 90°, it would still create a lot of suction and blow grass clippings out the chute. I think a lawnmower deck is… the best comparison I can think of would be, it’s like the impeller of a leaf blower except one face of the containment (scroll? snail?) is the ground/grass and the blade(/impeller) doesn’t have vanes 90° to the direction of rotation. I bet if you had flat lawnmower blades, it would still generate lift suction and vigorously blow the air(/clippings) out the chute. I bet the upward facing bevel contributes only a nominal amount of suction off the grass/ground.

/ Can lawnmower blades be sharpened with the bevel on the bottom? #10  
I bet if you had flat lawnmower blades, it would still generate lift suction and vigorously blow the air(/clippings) out the chute.
I bet you would lose. :(