Can I use a slip clevis on transport chain for tie down?

/ Can I use a slip clevis on transport chain for tie down? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
In learning about hauling small farm tractors, I can't find out if it's Ok to use a slip clevis on the end of a binder chain to tie down a corner of a farm tractor. I never thought it was but in watching YouTube videos have seen guys just hooking the slip clevis hook into a factory OEM tie down spot and then tightening the chain. I never trusted the strength of a slip clevis by itself but wonder if that would be OK on my smaller farm tractor?

Hooking to the back is difficult because I can't loop the chain around but there would be enough space to just hook a slip clevis. What do you think?

/ Can I use a slip clevis on transport chain for tie down? #2  
If the clevis rating is equal to the chain rating it should be OK. Assuming the overall rating is adequate for the tractor you want to tie down.

/ Can I use a slip clevis on transport chain for tie down? #3  
I use slip hooks with the safety latches. Hook them to the D rings and tighten with binders.

/ Can I use a slip clevis on transport chain for tie down? #4  
If the slip clevis has a latch it should work. If it doesn't have a latch I'd be concerned about the slip clevis bouncing loose if I was just hooking it around a frame point.

/edit - several of my slip hooks have lost their latches due to heavy usage, they are still useful but not safe for everything

Last edited:
   / Can I use a slip clevis on transport chain for tie down? #5  
I hate the latches. They tend to work right about twice, then bind up. If I'm hauling something that has D rings I prefer those hooks. Most of the time I prefer grab hooks.

/ Can I use a slip clevis on transport chain for tie down? #6  
All my chain tie downs have slip hooks on one end snatch hook on the other end. Tractor has shackles mounted on all four corners the slip hooks go into. Each implement has custom length set of chains. I put a slip hook on one end of all my long chains used for dragging. I use the short ones for lifting. A tight chain cannot slip pot of the hook.

Ron

/ Can I use a slip clevis on transport chain for tie down? #8  
In learning about hauling small farm tractors, I can't find out if it's Ok to use a slip clevis on the end of a binder chain to tie down a corner of a farm tractor. ---------------

Hooking to the back is difficult because I can't loop the chain around but there would be enough space to just hook a slip clevis. What do you think?
It maybe a regional thing, but I have never seen a slip clevis. Around here this is a clevis:

clevis.jpg

When I did an image search for slip clevis, it showed clevis slip hooks, which I use Grade 70 slip hooks a lot:
csh.jpg

Do you have a picture of a slip clevis?

Last edited:
   / Can I use a slip clevis on transport chain for tie down? #9  
Yep, that's a clevis to me as well X. I don't own any clevis' that aren't screw type either.

I think Six is referring to your pics of the two hooks as a slip clevis. But I'll wait for his clarification.

/ Can I use a slip clevis on transport chain for tie down? #10