Can I switch from turf to R1 or R4

/ Can I switch from turf to R1 or R4 #1  

dirtymartini

Silver Member
Tractor
LS R4047 FEL & Backhoe
I have a Massey Ferguson 1230 that currently has turf tires, 315/80D16 rears and 24 x 8.5 x 12 fronts. According to tractordata.com The size for ag tires is 12.4-16 rears and 6-14 fronts.

If I manage to find the rears in R1 (I haven't yet) will I able to use the wheels I have now?

/ Can I switch from turf to R1 or R4 #2  
I doubt it. Turfs have a much wider rim (same with R4) than R1 tires so I don't think you could just swap the tires on the rims. The front rims are different sized than what is required so that wouldn't work.
The only way to effectively swap tires is to buy tires and rims for the size required.

/ Can I switch from turf to R1 or R4
I doubt it. Turfs have a much wider rim (same with R4) than R1 tires so I don't think you could just swap the tires on the rims. The front rims are different sized than what is required so that wouldn't work.
The only way to effectively swap tires is to buy tires and rims for the size required.

Thanks. I guess these are oddball sizes because I'm having a helluva time finding even Turf tires.

/ Can I switch from turf to R1 or R4 #4  
If it is time for new tires, why not just buy new rims and tires for the correct size. Rims and tires might be found online also or search Craigslist nationally.

If it is time for new tires, why not just buy new rims and tires for the correct size. Rims and tires might be found online also or search Craigslist nationally.

Maybe I'll try the Craigslist search...I have never tried searching nationally. I know with 4WD the tire circumferences have to be in proportion....I was wondering if I had other options for size.

/ Can I switch from turf to R1 or R4 #6  
Thanks Roy Jackson, I found a guy selling Ag tires from his Kubota B3030. The rears are 12.4-16 but the fronts are 7-14. I am hoping he will sell just the rears.

/ Can I switch from turf to R1 or R4 #9  
usually the tire wont be the same as the rim and width will be different when going to the ags that fit the machine that has turfs now. I guess what i am saying is the tire numbers wont be the same when you look for r4 or r1s as the width and rim wont match