Can I salvage an older Diesel tank

/ Can I salvage an older Diesel tank #1  

felixedo

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35D / Deere 1026R / Bobcat CT2040
I have an older steel diesel tranfer tank. About 100 gallons. I have some serious scale and rust issues going on inside, to the point where the filter clogs pretty fast. Is there a simple / low-cost way to clean this tank out, or is it trash? I really hate to have to replace it if I don't have to.

/ Can I salvage an older Diesel tank #2  
What I would try is to throw some rocks in and take a pressure washer and stick it in there and make everything rattle, shake and move and keep draining it out until it drains clean then let it air dry a week for the water to get out see what happens.
Free solution (other than time, water and pressure washer fuel) that might work, might not, but new transfer tanks are expensive.

/ Can I salvage an older Diesel tank #3  
I also had a 275 that was rusty inside so I added 4~5 Gallons of diesel and some clean stones/rocks & strapped it to my tractor & gave it a rough ride swerving side to side then flipped to the tank to do it again.
I drained the tank & rinsed with water then used 5 gallons of diesel to rinse it recycling the diesel thru a filter until I was satisfied with the inside condition.

/ Can I salvage an older Diesel tank #4  
I have an older steel diesel tranfer tank. About 100 gallons. I have some serious scale and rust issues going on inside, to the point where the filter clogs pretty fast. Is there a simple / low-cost way to clean this tank out, or is it trash? I really hate to have to replace it if I don't have to.
What physical shape is it? Round? Square?

You could put some water or junky fuel in there along with some random nuts and bolts and rock it around or drive with it for a while. Then you can drain the scale and use a magnet to get the stuff back out ....

/ Can I salvage an older Diesel tank #5  
If this 100gal tank can be replaced with a good used 275gal I wouldnt bother trying to fix it.

I have used a battery charger to clean the inside of a rusty tank. It does take some work but is doable.

/ Can I salvage an older Diesel tank
Thanks all! Looks like my tank is going for a ride!

/ Can I salvage an older Diesel tank #9  
Chain! A just in time idea. I let you know the results.

/ Can I salvage an older Diesel tank #10  
I've seen people ratchet strap the tank to a tractor rear tire. Drive around or jack it up off the ground if you cant get clearance between the nank & ground. Fill with chain or whatever before you tumble it. Industrial sized rock tumbler.