Can fire wood be too dry?

/ Can fire wood be too dry? #1  

90cummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1720 SSS 4x4 Turbo Charged
I’ve been told that a 15~20% moisture content is preferred for firewood otherwise it burns too fast.
I’ve burned wood as my primary heat source for 40 years & never had issues with wood that’s too dry, wet yes but NEVER to dry!
I found no information that indicates firewood can be too dry.
But I did find this.

Quote from EPA.
As the seasoning process can take such a long time, the EPA recommends that firewood with a moisture content of between 15% and 20% is most efficient-FOR burning.

I interpret this quote as meaning these values are acceptable for burning (but not optimal) because moisture content is difficult to control and is determined by ambient storage conditions.

My firewood after being seasoned is stored in the same heated area as my wood furnace so it becomes extremely dry as the heating season progresses.
My furnace is airtight so the burn rate is easily controlled. I have never thought (this wood is too dry)!
90cummins

/ Can fire wood be too dry? #2  
I agree. I think that recommendation predates modern wood stoves that have secondary and tertiary burning. Dry wood burns quickly and absent a controlled burn, more heat would go up the flue. Dry wood also produces less creosote.

All the best,

Peter

/ Can fire wood be too dry? #3  
I have a fireplace, and the dry wood does burn fast, but it's easier to light and I just don't put a lot in the fireplace, so it doesn't burn as fast and it doesn't roar.

/ Can fire wood be too dry? #4  
depends entirely on the species of the wood and if it's stacked off the ground or not. Hardwood will always combust slower and produce less ash and creosote in the venting even with a catalytic combustor that EPA 'approved' units now have to have to reburn the volatile exhaust gasses. Personally I believe they are a total waste of money and just a cost increase but then I don't burn chunk wood at all (except in the burn pile) I heat with mixed biomass (processed carbon neutral wood pellets mixed with off grade and not marketable seed corn) and my biomass units are 85% efficient too.. Not that im a tree hugger because I'm not but I am into reliable and somewhat cheap heat and convenience and like I've posted on here before, I have a huge pile of seasoned and cut to length (10 to 14 feet long saw logs, mostly hard wood that you can get (I'll load your truck or trailer or semi dump any time reasonable and they are free for the taking). I just got shut of a big load of well seasoned Mulberry trunks I loaded on a large gooseneck trailer. Lots more there and I add to the pile regularly. If interested, PM me for directions and phone number, usually home this time of year anyway.

/ Can fire wood be too dry? #5  
Do you guys use some tool or devise to measure wood moisture? I’ve never done such a thing. I never knew such a thing existed.

I always went by feel and look and age since being cut and stacked.

/ Can fire wood be too dry? #7  
I have to slow my burn rate if the wood is dryer, let less air in. I have a dial on the front of my stove. Also changes with the type of wood i'm burning.

/ Can fire wood be too dry? #8  
   / Can fire wood be too dry? #9  
depends entirely on the species of the wood and if it's stacked off the ground or not. Hardwood will always combust slower and produce less ash and creosote in the venting even with a catalytic combustor that EPA 'approved' units now have to have to reburn the volatile exhaust gasses. Personally I believe they are a total waste of money and just a cost increase but then I don't burn chunk wood at all (except in the burn pile) I heat with mixed biomass (processed carbon neutral wood pellets mixed with off grade and not marketable seed corn) and my biomass units are 85% efficient too.. Not that im a tree hugger because I'm not but I am into reliable and somewhat cheap heat and convenience and like I've posted on here before, I have a huge pile of seasoned and cut to length (10 to 14 feet long saw logs, mostly hard wood that you can get (I'll load your truck or trailer or semi dump any time reasonable and they are free for the taking). I just got shut of a big load of well seasoned Mulberry trunks I loaded on a large gooseneck trailer. Lots more there and I add to the pile regularly. If interested, PM me for directions and phone number, usually home this time of year anyway.
I'm on my third season with an EPA stove. They are pretty nice and excel in "low and slow" burns during "shoulder season." Can also run them hot as needed too during the really cold spells.

/ Can fire wood be too dry? #10