Can a 1601D pull a 2-bottom plow?

/ Can a 1601D pull a 2-bottom plow? #1  

queen of spades

Silver Member
Will my 1601d (20hp 4wd) pull a 2-bottom plow?

/ Can a 1601D pull a 2-bottom plow? #2  
Doubt it. My Kioti 3054 would barely do it and it was 30 hp more weight and I turned up the injection pump....

/ Can a 1601D pull a 2-bottom plow? #4  
It depends on the type of soil, size and condition of the plow, ground cover and your reason for using it.

Many 2WD Ford 9N's pulled a 2 bottom plow and were approx 23 HP. Your 4WD would probably do as well. The smaller plows have less resistance and would do a bit better than the larger sizes. Plows should have no rust (a rare thing to find these days) to work well, so if you are looking to buy an older one, ensure there are at least no pits in the working surfaces and is capable of taking a nice shine. Otherwise, it will not be self scouring. If you are buying new, always clean and grease plows before storage. Do not leave plows out in the weather - store inside the barn, up on blocks

Heavy, dense soils will challenge a decent pull, lighter loams will not pose much problem. If you plan to plow in heavy residuals (needing a coulter to cut them) it will also make it tougher. Rock is another story.

If you need to break new ground or are just simply breaking up soil, it also makes a difference. Also bear in mind that a plow can create hardpan in heavy soils.

/ Can a 1601D pull a 2-bottom plow? #5  
Many 2WD Ford 9N's pulled a 2 bottom plow and were approx 23 HP.

I think the 9N's weigh a bit more that a Yanmar, that's the problem getting traction to the ground.

We used to farm with a 9N and it didn't exactly run off with 2/12 bottom plow.

/ Can a 1601D pull a 2-bottom plow? #6  
I agree, the 9N would be at least 600 lbs heavier, but 4WD helps quite a bit when pulling. That's why I was thinking it might do as well (depending on soil type). While a 2 bottom is too much in muck soil for the 9N, it does quite nicely in others. The point I was trying to make is that it's not a simple question, as there is more to it than just the tractor. It certainly is far more efficient to pull a double if it can handle it.

/ Can a 1601D pull a 2-bottom plow? #7  
Yanmar 1601D Weight: 1587 lbs 20 hp . A ford 9n Weight: is 3,375 lbs . I don't think it will pull a 2- bottom plow.

/ Can a 1601D pull a 2-bottom plow? #8  
Yanmar 1601D Weight: 1587 lbs 20 hp . A ford 9n Weight: is 3,375 lbs . I don't think it will pull a 2- bottom plow.

agh ha ...... so right ........

was waiting for the tractor weight ratio comparison. my 3pt field crane lifts my YM-1600 "OFF THE GROUND" (without crow feet), versus I read others can pull trees without the "CROW FEET"... ???? Tractors CUT or full sized are dependent on weight to determine 'Center Of Gravity" for obtaining the vehicles capabilities. On a side NOTE: weight also will determine the amount of PULL ... weight does equal traction, more so over tire surface contact. They work enhancing each others stronger attributes.

I Fly in my dreams regularly :) Life is fun...

/ Can a 1601D pull a 2-bottom plow? #9  
The 9N is listed as 2,340 lbs bare weight. Your 3,300 lb 9N must be sporting about 1,000 lbs of calcium cloride. A 1601 can add weight in the same manner, although not as much.

I have pulled a 2 bottom plow with a 21 HP Iseki 4WD and have no problem pulling a two bottom Dearborne with my Yanmar 240D. Again, it depends on soil conditions as much as the tractor.