Camera Security Systems???

/ Camera Security Systems??? #1  

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210
Considering setting up a camera based security system at my farm property. I know absolutely nothing about this subject. Hopefully those with systems can offer guidance and suggestions.

I don't need anything elaborate. Cameras that I can view thru an App on my phone would be great. Limited, couple days, recording capability would be nice.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

/ Camera Security Systems??? #2  
I've been looking at some of the amcrest systems to replace my old camera, will be interesting to see what comes up here.

/ Camera Security Systems??? #3  
I do almost everything DIY, including cameras. But if you don't have past experience, this is one of those things that might justify getting some help. Something to consider.

On the other hand, there are some good out-of-the-box complete systems. I have bought a few "Swann" systems and they pretty much plug in and work. For remote viewing you need a reasonable internet connection at your property.

One big decision up front: whether to get an IP-based camera system or a dedicated system. The dedicated systems use hybrid cable with a coax for picture and second wire for power. That means a dedicated cable from your main unit to each camera-- those wires are somewhat proprietary. An IP-based system uses CAT5 or CAT6 wiring-- same as your internet connections, and wherever you can plug into the internet-- you can plug in a camera.

Some folks want wireless video. The inside joke in the industry is there are three rules for wireless video: 1. don't do it. 2. don't do it. and 3. don't do it. But, I do a wireless connection from my house to barn, using a Nanostation M5 device. It works OK, not fabulous, but it does work and it was a lot less hassle than trenching.

/ Camera Security Systems??? #4  
I have Arlo wireless cameras around my property. I was initially 100% pleased with them. Very easy to install and set up. They are more expensive than other cameras but you pay a premium for not having to run wires. They do not record 24/7 like DVR-based setups; they have a motion detector which activates the recording and the recordings are saved to "the cloud." There are positives and negatives to this. If you arrive to find your building burnt to the ground, the video on the DVR will be unrecoverable and you'll never know who/what started the fire. On the flip-side, the motion detection isn't perfect and if you arrive to find your building broken into and things stolen, there is a slight chance that the burglar may not have tripped the motion detector, and there won't be any continuous footage stored for you to manually sift through and find the perpetrator.

I was aware of the limitations of the wireless camera system when I bought it, and for what it is and what I paid for it, I was happy. But as time went on I became less satisfied. One of my cameras randomly stopped detecting motion. The one on my barn which is right next to the door to capture the face of anyone who approaches it. You could walk right up to the door, standing right in front of the camera, and maybe it would record you, maybe not. Previously is had been hit-or-miss only if, for example, there was a house cat crossing its path at 30ft away. Now it's hit-or-miss with the center mass of a grown man 3ft away. After about a year, the battery life started to decline. I noted when I first bought them, how amazing it was that they could remain charged for over a month, with dozens of recorded events each day. Now what used to last a month lasts a week.

Knowing what I know now, might still buy Arlo cameras, just because of the labor required to install anything else. But if you had asked me last year it would have been a resounding recommendation. They are so, so easy to install, and if you don't plan on having a lot of traffic in front of the cameras which will strain the batteries, then it's probably a good choice.

/ Camera Security Systems??? #5  
I've been looking at some of the amcrest systems to replace my old camera, will be interesting to see what comes up here.

Go smash your hand with your biggest hammer. It will cause less pain then the Amcrest setup.

To the OP- the “easiest” cameras work with WiFi. Once you get good WiFi to the areas that you want cameras their are several choices. I tried several that didn’t work as advertised. I settled on the iSmart cameras. They are indoor cameras but I can look through the windows.

/ Camera Security Systems???
Good stuff guys!!!

I'll have wireless Internet at the location. Based out of the house. Shop in close proximity. I think I want a camera on the front of the shop. Another on the front of the house. Maybe one inside the two buildings as well??

I could easily bury wire no farther apart than the two structures are but would prefer WiFi if it works good.

Here's a pic of the area as it is today for an idea of distance. It's 40ft from the shop to the house.

MAX_0017 (1280x960) (2).jpg

/ Camera Security Systems??? #7  
I installed arlo pro with 2 cameras this past spring.So far very happy.Time will tell..

/ Camera Security Systems??? #8  
If you're looking for a "turn-key" solution ring is pretty okay if a tad expensive.

Ubituiqi also makes a line of PoR cameras, although I'm not sure if they finally added remote app viewing.

/ Camera Security Systems??? #9  
I have Reolink cameras. The learning curve was significant but their support was fairly responsive. Not sure I recommend them but they do have on board micro sd cards that retain recordings.

/ Camera Security Systems??? #10  
Good stuff guys!!!

I'll have wireless Internet at the location. Based out of the house. Shop in close proximity. I think I want a camera on the front of the shop. Another on the front of the house. Maybe one inside the two buildings as well??

I could easily bury wire no farther apart than the two structures are but would prefer WiFi if it works good.

Here's a pic of the area as it is today for an idea of distance. It's 40ft from the shop to the house.

View attachment 578451
You may be better off to bury wire and then put another router in the shop and use the Wifi from it will give you a better signal and would probably reach your other building in the picture as well that way!! Especially if the shop is a metal building can't tell for sure..my $.02