Calling Dr. Phil!

/ Calling Dr. Phil! #1  

Farmwithjunk

Tractor
Where do I begin.....
Or any other self-professed marriage councelors. I NEED HELP!

I bought my farm back in the late 70's. It seemed quite adaquate. Nice place, good ground, couple big barns, nice older home. And a HAPPY wife.

But civilization started encroaching upon my happiness.

SO... We decided to buy another place that came up for sale. My son would move into our old house, and take care of the day to day chores there. Our new place is only 15 minutes further "out-of-town", but MUCH more rural atmosphere.

It has a new barn, and a couple older ones, again, good land, and an adorable little house. Perfect for the two of us. New kitchen cabinets, new hardwood floors, fireplace, new furnace and A-C. New roof. New windows (Pella Rollscreens) New doors. New everything in the bathroom. Exterior is brick, with trim all in vinyl. (NO PAINTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Brick walks. Stone bordered flower beds. 3 car detached garage. The place looks to be a dream!

Then we started moving.

The home we lived in was mine BEFORE I met my wife. When I left my parents home, I moved in this place. 32 years without ever moving.

Now this.

All this leads to one question. How many times should I re-arrange a room before reaching the "domestic violence" stage?

I THOUGHT I knew my wife. 29 years of marriage, 2 kids, 5 grandkids, and all that goes with it.

Seems she was keeping one thing from me. She's SATAN when it comes time to move.

Anyone have a suggestion? (be specific. state caliper of weapon)

I feel better already. Thanks for letting me rant!

/ Calling Dr. Phil! #2  
After our 15th anniversary I announced a new rule. I would no longer attempt to move furniture into spaces in which it would not fit. My wife is lousy with spatial relations. She would want to see that the sofa was to big. So I would have to move it to prove to her it truly is to big. We are talking ludicrous measurements here. The rule came about when she asked me to put a 7 foot sofa next to the fireplace in a spot just vacated by a wingbacked chair. Both my daughter and I looked at her like she was nuts. How could she posibbly think the 7 ft sofa would fit in a 4 ft spot. She did not beleive us. So we moved it and of course it did not fit. Hence the rule - If I tell you a piece of furniture, appliance, rock or what ever is tobig I will not move it to prove it.
It has made my life much easier. But I still have to move stuff to "see how it looks"

Phi (not a Dr)

/ Calling Dr. Phil!
It's all our fault you know. We're the ones who married 'em.

When I first met my wife, she warned me that her father was "plum nuts". I know why now. He had to deal with her (and her 11 sisters, plus their mother) for 18 years already.

The man should have been cannonized as a saint. (His miracle was surviving 12 daughters)

/ Calling Dr. Phil! #4  
I had to institute a furniture rule too. "Nothing new comes into the house unless something old goes out" otherwise I'd be living in the garage, cause there's no more room in the house.

Funny tho, how time changes things. The other day she said "You know those old bookcases in the basement that I just couldn't part with for the last 10 years? I've decided I'm not quite as attached to them as I thought"

Progress at last!

PS I bought my wife her own retractable tape measure, she takes it with her when she goes shopping now - it helps her keep from buying something that's too big for the space.

/ Calling Dr. Phil!
Now there's an idea!

My new shop has all the comforts of home. TV (w/ Dish), stereo, 'fridge, microwave, woodstove, office has AC, and my old Lazy Boy that the Mrs. said can't come in "HER" new house.

Maybe I'll just move to the garage!

/ Calling Dr. Phil! #6  
Your problem sounds like a perfectly normal situation to me. Having been married to the same woman now for 40 years, and having moved a few times, I've accepted the fact that it's normal. You're just learning later in life because you haven't moved before. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Calling Dr. Phil! #7  
Lets be realistic about this FWJ...you were only led to believe that the other house was yours after all these years. Take my advice...stake your claim in one of your new barns and make it your own. If she REALLY need your help with something...she'll know where to come lookin'. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

...Tony

/ Calling Dr. Phil! #9  
My rule goes along the line of 1 thing comes into the house, then 1 thing must go out of the house. It's working. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Calling Dr. Phil! #10  
<font color="blue"> My rule goes along the line of 1 thing comes into the house, then 1 thing must go out of the house. </font>

Unfortunately, my wife has imposed a similar rule upon me. For every vehicle I buy, I must sell one /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif.

Lawrence