California Transportation Laws / CDL / Motor Carrier Permit

/ California Transportation Laws / CDL / Motor Carrier Permit
Out of curiosity, if my truck and trailer is fully legal at home in British Columbia, can I use it for personal purposes in Washington, Oregon and California?

Technically no in a lot of cases, but you'd probably get away with it without hassle as long as you are driving safely. I see a lot of duallys and 3/4 tons hauling 14K+ goosenecks all over with no CVRA stickers, Permanent plates on the trailer, and no CA# , and therefore no MCP, etc.

Are you a farmer?
If so, here is soma good news:

https://fwaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/map-21_qa.pdf

No I am not a farmer but with all of this talk of food shortages I may turn my small acreage into a food plot sooner than later. Thanks

/ California Transportation Laws / CDL / Motor Carrier Permit
These gents will be able to answer your questions.

(131) Cottonwood

Alright so I called cottonwood today and spoke with one of the DOT CHP officers. First off, they said that due to the virus, DMV is not processing anything including MCPs. So they are not enforcing MCPs until things get opened up etc. at which point is unknown at this time.

So also I asked about private not for hire owners operating 10K+ trailers or 26k+ vehicles and he basically said that if it is personal you don't need an MCP. This is the 2nd time I've heard this, the first being from a non-sworn DOT inspector that works the scales and goes around enforcing BIT inspections etc. for terminals.

I mentioned that I see dually pickups all over the place pulling dual tandem gooseneck trailers with no CA#, DOT#, company name, CVRA weight sticker etc. So the question was, what was I missing because the MCP handbook lays it out crystal clear, not much room for grey area. e.g. "Generally, any person or business entity operating a commercial vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more, either for commercial or private use, hauling their own goods or property. Entities operating such vehicles are deemed a 'Private' motor carrier."

So apparently there is a third pillar, that of personal use. A class A CDL or non-commercial class A is still needed of course.

He mentioned if you wanted to haul your tractor on the dual tandem gooseneck (or any trailer above 10K gvw) to a friend's place to mow their field, fine, but when money changes hands for service that is where the MCP comes into place.

/ California Transportation Laws / CDL / Motor Carrier Permit #14  
Any updates?

I’m seeing a lot of pickups with 12k dump trailers running around… mostly landscapers.

/ California Transportation Laws / CDL / Motor Carrier Permit #15  
That's why you buy the f350
As
Long as gvw is under the threshold your good I have a few customers haul that way