California Transportation Laws / CDL / Motor Carrier Permit

/ California Transportation Laws / CDL / Motor Carrier Permit #1  

PapeCAT

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford / NH 545D John Deere 316 John Deere 330
Here in California it is well known that the CDL requirements are different than throughout the rest of the country. I.E. a common statement is "any non-RV/Horse trailer over 10K GVW or more needs a CDL to tow." While this is true, simply having a CDL may not meet the requirements, at least according to the Motor Carrier Permit handbook.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...5c2-458005be7f4e/mcp500.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

I would like to start a discussion about this, and am curious how many (specifically private owners) out there have their MCP in California.

I for one believed that, once I obtained my CDL without any restrictions and all the endorsements, I could just hop in any rig on the road more or less and tow any size GVW trailer out there as long as there was enough tire/axle under it.

So, last year I did just that more or less. And then bought a 429 gas powered f700 and 24K gvw trailer and expected to just call my insurance company, and get it on the road hauling materials for my landscape projects at home. That is about when I discovered the MCP, linked above.

There are many categories listed that require one to obtain an MCP. The one that I fell under was "Generally, any person or business entity operating a commercial vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more, either for commercial or private use, hauling their own goods or property. Entities operating such vehicles are deemed a 'Private' motor carrier."

The F700 has a GVW of 30,000 lbs and private use.

Now the next question is, how does one obtain an MCP? Well in a nutshell to get an MCP you need a Carrier ID from the CHP (CA #), an insurance certificate based on your configuration but in my case the requirement was to be insured for "$750,000 combined single limit", and you need to pay your MCP fees based on a schedule according to your fleet size.

Now in order to get a CA# from the CHP you will need a USDOT# issued from the FMCSA, a county business license, and enroll in the BIT terminal inspection for your truck(s). In order to get a USDOT# you will need an EIN from the IRS, fees etc. In order to maintain your USDOT# you will need to enroll in a DOT drug and alcohol consortium. Then when you do all of this you can do the MCP, but also your county business permit will arrive in the mail and if the address your business license is zoned residential, it will then tell you that parking any commercial vehicle over 10K GVW, equipment primarily for AG/construction at your address is against code and you will be fined, jailed, etc. if you do not comply. (or in reality if someone calls in a complaint) So now you are on the radar with the county.

In short, if you or operating any combination of vehicles at all that is in CDL territory, you or the entity that owns the vehicle(s) needs an MCP - for commercial or private use.

This is my understanding, what is your take? I have seen lots of info tossed around on this forum from Dave's Tractor and others so maybe there is some good real world experience out there. Spirit of the law vs. letter of the law might apply here in some cases, but the MCP handbook lays it out very clearly and it is a relatively new requirement so many might not be aware.

/ California Transportation Laws / CDL / Motor Carrier Permit #2  
Sounds like the old bend way over and open wide.

/ California Transportation Laws / CDL / Motor Carrier Permit #3  
Move to a less communist state!

/ California Transportation Laws / CDL / Motor Carrier Permit #4  
Caught in an endless loop of red tape! Wow - all for having a truck for personal use.

How does the CHP interpret this. I'm surprised that they require the business information for the CA#. If the MCP is required for private use, why doesn't the CHP have a private use category, which should eliminate the need for a USDOT number, business name and license and all that?

/ California Transportation Laws / CDL / Motor Carrier Permit #5  
Here in California it is well known that the CDL requirements are different than throughout the rest of the country. I.E. a common statement is "any non-RV/Horse trailer over 10K GVW or more needs a CDL to tow." While this is true, simply having a CDL may not meet the requirements, at least according to the Motor Carrier Permit handbook.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...5c2-458005be7f4e/mcp500.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

I would like to start a discussion about this, and am curious how many (specifically private owners) out there have their MCP in California.

I for one believed that, once I obtained my CDL without any restrictions and all the endorsements, I could just hop in any rig on the road more or less and tow any size GVW trailer out there as long as there was enough tire/axle under it.

So, last year I did just that more or less. And then bought a 429 gas powered f700 and 24K gvw trailer and expected to just call my insurance company, and get it on the road hauling materials for my landscape projects at home. That is about when I discovered the MCP, linked above.

There are many categories listed that require one to obtain an MCP. The one that I fell under was "Generally, any person or business entity operating a commercial vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more, either for commercial or private use, hauling their own goods or property. Entities operating such vehicles are deemed a 'Private' motor carrier."

The F700 has a GVW of 30,000 lbs and private use.

Now the next question is, how does one obtain an MCP? Well in a nutshell to get an MCP you need a Carrier ID from the CHP (CA #), an insurance certificate based on your configuration but in my case the requirement was to be insured for "$750,000 combined single limit", and you need to pay your MCP fees based on a schedule according to your fleet size.

Now in order to get a CA# from the CHP you will need a USDOT# issued from the FMCSA, a county business license, and enroll in the BIT terminal inspection for your truck(s). In order to get a USDOT# you will need an EIN from the IRS, fees etc. In order to maintain your USDOT# you will need to enroll in a DOT drug and alcohol consortium. Then when you do all of this you can do the MCP, but also your county business permit will arrive in the mail and if the address your business license is zoned residential, it will then tell you that parking any commercial vehicle over 10K GVW, equipment primarily for AG/construction at your address is against code and you will be fined, jailed, etc. if you do not comply. (or in reality if someone calls in a complaint) So now you are on the radar with the county.

In short, if you or operating any combination of vehicles at all that is in CDL territory, you or the entity that owns the vehicle(s) needs an MCP - for commercial or private use.

This is my understanding, what is your take? I have seen lots of info tossed around on this forum from Dave's Tractor and others so maybe there is some good real world experience out there. Spirit of the law vs. letter of the law might apply here in some cases, but the MCP handbook lays it out very clearly and it is a relatively new requirement so many might not be aware.

Not for ME,...... caus I ain't never goin to The Democratic Peoples Republic of Mexifornia ever again !!!!

/ California Transportation Laws / CDL / Motor Carrier Permit
Caught in an endless loop of red tape! Wow - all for having a truck for personal use.

How does the CHP interpret this. I'm surprised that they require the business information for the CA#. If the MCP is required for private use, why doesn't the CHP have a private use category, which should eliminate the need for a USDOT number, business name and license and all that?

I am going to call CHP this week and get their take on it. Between here and the Trucker Report forum I haven't had a single response that has shed any light, so I'll keep you updated.

/ California Transportation Laws / CDL / Motor Carrier Permit #7  
Rank and file don't seem to know much but those at the weigh stations are more knowledgeable in my experience.

/ California Transportation Laws / CDL / Motor Carrier Permit
Rank and file don't seem to know much but those at the weigh stations are more knowledgeable in my experience.

Yeah, not calling random CHP but rather the Valley office that assigned me the CA#

/ California Transportation Laws / CDL / Motor Carrier Permit #9  
Last edited:
   / California Transportation Laws / CDL / Motor Carrier Permit #10  
Out of curiosity, if my truck and trailer is fully legal at home in British Columbia, can I use it for personal purposes in Washington, Oregon and California?