California Drought

/ California Drought #791  
^^^ Pretty good for stopping the kids from blowing straws at the next table's diners.

:)

Trust that true science explains things the best we know. But always understand it is subject to change when more is known.

Science:
This is how it works. This is how we believe it works, to the best of our knowledge.

Bruce

Last edited:
   / California Drought #792  
^^^ Pretty good for stopping the kids from blowing straws at the next table's diners.

:)

Trust that true science explains things the best we know. But always understand it is subject to change when more is known.

Bruce

I applied that logic to climate change a long time ago...

/ California Drought #793  
And ketchup too.

I worked at a restaurant where a patron gave the ketchup bottle a mighty shake. Except the prior patrons had left the lid unscrewed. It went into the lady's hair at the next table, which also turned out to be a wig. 😀

/ California Drought #794  
Couple of thoughts:

A common theme among skeptics of man-made climate change is the "man made" part. This is coupled with suspicion about political motives to stifle fossil fuels, enact regulatory changes, raise taxes, etc. There seems to be plenty of examples of politicians trying to use local weather events to gin up tax or regulatory changes. Which is a bit foolish since trying to use a local weather event to explain climate change indicates how little they know about the subject.

But to the contrary, it was none other than Edward Teller (from the Manhattan project) who predicted in 1957 the effects of increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Mr. Teller long preceded the current crop of politicians pushing for change, and his study of the properties of carbon dioxide were solidly rooted in research.

From Wikipedia:

"Teller was one of the first prominent people to raise the danger of climate change, driven by the burning of fossil fuels. At an address to the membership of the American Chemical Society in December 1957, Teller warned that the large amount of carbon-based fuel that had been burnt since the mid-19th century was increasing the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, which would "act in the same way as a greenhouse and will raise the temperature at the surface", and that he had calculated that if the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere increased by 10% "an appreciable part of the polar ice might melt"

I was in the car back in 1999? with radio on and Edward Teller called in to a radio talk show...

It was one of those moments you remember...

/ California Drought #795  
I'm being somewhat deft, I know what a climate proxy's intention is, but once again...it's a tangent thing to stand in for actual data.
Some are actual data. And some can be reproduced in conditions today that influenced their final form or factors of yesteryear.

/ California Drought #797  
IMG_3663.gif

/ California Drought #799  
I was in the car back in 1999? with radio on and Edward Teller called in to a radio talk show...

It was one of those moments you remember...

I love that line in the Oppenheimer movie where Teller asks if the Trinity site observation post is far enough away from the blast site. Oppenheimer replies “you did the calculations.”

I visited the Trinity site last April. The bomb casing is the shell of the third bomb that was never used on Japan.

Attachments

• IMG_0062.jpeg
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0057.jpeg
    IMG_0057.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0059.jpeg
    IMG_0059.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0069.jpeg
    IMG_0069.jpeg