Calcium in tires, no longer a fan......

/ Calcium in tires, no longer a fan...... #1  

Oldpath05

Tractor
none
I went to check my rear tire presure, first time in two years. A couple weeks ago I thought they looked a little slack, so this past weekend I put the gauge on the stem and the calcium started coming out and wouldn't stop, so quickly I jacked up the tractor and asking in the name of all that's holy, WHY? I got things to do. I took the the valve core out, what was left of it, with the valve stem at 12 why is so much CaCl coming out? had to get a bucket to start catching the stuff so it wouldn't go all over the garage floor, but some did.
In the meantime went down to the junk pile try to find some valve cores, got back to the garage, finally the Ca. stop coming out, greased the new good used valve core and screed it back in, then went to the other side, same issue, think in all I lost 2-3 gal of CaCl. That stuff was ice cold even the sawdust on the floor didn't like it, put back in 20psi and tires set a little taller for now anyways. Drove the tractor out down by the house, two 5 gal pails of water on the rims, 3 gal. on me and my new $100.00 Carhartt insulated bibs. So that's it, as soon as warm weather gets here, that crap is coming out and Rim Guard is going in, I draw the line when in three years that CaCl eats away valve cores, what's it doing to the inner tube, might as well have battery acid in the tires......

/ Calcium in tires, no longer a fan...... #2  
You need to change valve cores about every other year if you'r going to have calcium, and it doesn't hurt the tubes. I put new rears on my 100 hp tractor and did away with the calcium and went with the Rimguard. I had to replace one rim because of the rust and corrosion from the calcium. Make sure you get your rims washed good. Be sitting down when you price the Rimguard. They're proud of it.

/ Calcium in tires, no longer a fan...... #3  
Welcome to the club. I fought CaCl filled tires on my previous tractor for 20+ years - yes, I'm an idiot!!!! The last five years I was routinely replacing the cores on both rear tires every year. My new tractor has RimGuard and what a joy........ Just one nasty problem, long gone.

I know there are those who indicate they have never had a problem - - come on, move into the 21st century and use something that is assured of no problems. Rim Guard, windshield washer fluid, RV antifreeze, methanol etc, etc

The question on the cost of rim guard has come up so much - I called the local dealer that pumped my rear tires full.

In 2009, when I bought the tractor he indicated it was around $1.75/gallon - he now charges $1.95/gallon.

Like they say in real-estate - location, location, location..............

Last edited:
   / Calcium in tires, no longer a fan...... #4  
Calcium at the the time was the way to go,but like most things new improve sooo much better..but might no be a cheaper tho.

/ Calcium in tires, no longer a fan...... #5  
I paid $4.50/US gallon for R-G. I specified R-G, not because I was loyal to the company, but because I knew it was made with beet juice. I used to import (tanker yanker) beet juice into Canada from Michigan.

/ Calcium in tires, no longer a fan...... #6  
I paid $4.50/US gallon for R-G. I specified R-G, not because I was loyal to the company, but because I knew it was made with beet juice. I used to import (tanker yanker) beet juice into Canada from Michigan.
Couldn't your tanker have developed a leak and caught a drum or two of beet juice? :D

Just kidding. I don't condone theft. ;)

/ Calcium in tires, no longer a fan......
" The last five years I was routinely replacing the cores on both rear tires every year. My new tractor has RimGuard and what a joy........ Just one nasty problem, long gone."<<<<<<<<<<<Amen to that nasty problem long gone! I just called the local tractor place to get some Idea of cost vs. headache, the service said sure bring the tires down we'll change it to Rim-Gard, the cost will be in the neighborhood of $250.00 for both tires plus new tubes, said the weight was 11 lbs./gal. and will take around 24 gal/tire, so it sounds to me like I can get both tire done for around $350.00 and if the rims are still good after almost three years, that CaCl headache will be gone. Ask him if I still needed tubes, he said it's a good idea because he said Rimgard is like a lubricant and some of his customers have complained about tire's slipping on the wheels, well we cant have slipping wheels, so tubes it is, so the target date is May 5th, hopefully they wont be swamped with people getting their riding lawnmowers buffed and waxed.....

/ Calcium in tires, no longer a fan...... #8  
Couldn't your tanker have developed a leak and caught a drum or two of beet juice? :D

Just kidding. I don't condone theft. ;)

At the time all I had was a Farmall C with Calc. The Farmall is long gone and when I bought the Kioti I specified R-G.

I wouldn't steal it anyway.

/ Calcium in tires, no longer a fan...... #9  
Steal? Theft? Sounds more like loss-prevention. :laughing:

Unless of course, you're the cause of the leak. Then yes, you're a vandal and a thief.

/ Calcium in tires, no longer a fan...... #10  

RimGuard is good stuff..... but.
I was quoted $3.25 per gallon plus $75 per tire, plus having to drive 170 miles round trip for the fill.
Thus my RimGuard estimated cost (80 gal.) was $506 inclusive.
Bought 80 gal. windshield washer fluid (yep it is not as heavy), plus $10 TSC fill fitting, for a total of $135.
$371 is a BIG cost DIFFERENCE for me!