Cadillac of Zero Turn Mowers (ZTR)?

/ Cadillac of Zero Turn Mowers (ZTR)? #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
Last June when I was shopping for my first tractor, I posted a thread asking what's the Cadillac of tractors, using Cadillac to (right or wrong) represent the one with the most gadgets/ features/ options: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/buying-pricing-comparisons/173869-cadillac-tractors.html

(Eventually I clarified that using BMW or Mercedes nowadays would probably be better than Cadillac, but you get the idea I hope)

Thru lots of reading here & trips to dealerships, I ended up with the Kubota Grand L3940 in my sig below. Very happy about that!!

Now I'm considering a ZTR, & wonder the same question: Which make (model?) ZTR would be considered the one that leaves the least to be desired, best built, where you feel the fewest corners were cut, best materials were used, regardless of cost?

I get the feeling it might be Bad Boy or Exmark?

/ Cadillac of Zero Turn Mowers (ZTR)? #2  
Exmark,Scag and perhaps Dixie Chopper.

/ Cadillac of Zero Turn Mowers (ZTR)? #3  
You better go check out the Kubota, don't want your toys to clash ! :laughing:

/ Cadillac of Zero Turn Mowers (ZTR)? #4  
I feel that the "cadilac" ztr would be one that your wife loves to use!

/ Cadillac of Zero Turn Mowers (ZTR)? #5  
Now he might be a bit biased, but I had a Kubota salesman tell me that the Scag is Cadillac of the gasoline powered ZTRs and the Kubota is the Cadillac of the diesel powered ZTRs. Of course, he sells both so that might have something to do with his opinion.;) But he also just might be right.:)

But being a poor boy and wanting a small machine, I've got Toro.:laughing:

/ Cadillac of Zero Turn Mowers (ZTR)? #6  
I would consider Kubota, and possibly the high end JDs as being the Cadillacs...more operator features than other brands (instrumentation, quality seats, hydraulic deck lift,etc)- at least that is what I noticed when I looked them over three years ago. I don't see local landscapers using these however...it seems like they stick with Scag, Exmark, Toro, or Ferris.

Will

/ Cadillac of Zero Turn Mowers (ZTR)? #7  
My vote would be for the Ferris. The only one I know of to have full suspension. Scag, Exmark, Bobcat, Hustler, are all pretty much the same under the paint.

/ Cadillac of Zero Turn Mowers (ZTR)? #8  
Six to eight years ago, it seemed I saw more Scags being used by the commercial operators than anything and the last year or two, it seems I see more Toros than anything. Of course that's just the impression I get; no reliable survey at all.

/ Cadillac of Zero Turn Mowers (ZTR)? #9  
Ferris has a 3 cyl diesel Cat motor in their top line. With the suspension system and that motor that's what I'd call a "Cadillac".

PH

/ Cadillac of Zero Turn Mowers (ZTR)? #10  
I have both Exmark and Grasshopper. I've been around most major brands except Ferris and in my opinion Grasshopper doesn't take a backseat to any. My grasshopper is currently 12 years old with 1500 hours and is as reliable as my 3 year old Exmark with half the hours. It's also much more comfortable.:thumbsup:

Jim