Cabelas Tractors (2013 - 2016) ... just curious

/ Cabelas Tractors (2013 - 2016) ... just curious #1  

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012)
I checled for previous threads on this, but they were all dated Years ago, so I thought I'd start a new topic / thread.

I don't mean to scrape the scab off an old wound, but I am really interested in the short term run of the Cabelas tractors. Was there quality in the tractor, or were they simply re-branding a generic tractor suppliers' unit in an effort to expand the Cabelas line ?

Several Years ago, when I was researching tractors for a purchase, I saw an ad for these Cabelas tractors and I was intrigued. I was in a Business Administration MARKETING program, and it caught my attention.

It was a good name brand, but tractors seemed to me, to be a misfit. I don't even know if they were available in Canada ? Certainly none of the area dealers carried this line, so I never saw a Cabelas tractor up close and personal. For me it was Intrigue rather than Interest.

I checked them out, and requested a brochure, but by the time I made the Kubota purchase, Cabelas were no where to be seen.

What kind of experience did buyers get ?
Are any of those Cabelas tractors still out there?
Are they useful, or a part of tractor history, and for collectors value only ?
Manufactured in Korea

I'm still curious

Last edited:
   / Cabelas Tractors (2013 - 2016) ... just curious #2  
Made for Cabela's by TYM, still plenty of Cabelas tractors out there

/ Cabelas Tractors (2013 - 2016) ... just curious
   / Cabelas Tractors (2013 - 2016) ... just curious #4  
Well, ai bought one of the little 25hp scuts. Got a good deal on the tractor and loader combo, about a month after buying, found out they were discontinuing the line, got a mid mower for roughly half price and a woods tiller for about a third off list. Been pretty good, I'm well past the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty that was only 14 months for me and past the 5 year also. I had cracked fuel tank that I barely got a replacement for before Bass Pro sold the repair shop to their contractor for boat repair. Yes, parts have been hard to get, tym doesn't want to talk to you, Bass pro won't ever get another dime from me, and the internet is a good source for parts.. I've got about 285 hours on the tractor, use mainly for mowing, moving, and general tractor duties.
I have found that mahindra is another parts source as the e series is similar. Just another orphan tractor brand.

/ Cabelas Tractors (2013 - 2016) ... just curious
Handloader109 - Thanks for that reply. You might have a rare bird there. All the best finding parts as you need them. Have you checked out tractordata ? they have the specs for your unit.

Last edited:
   / Cabelas Tractors (2013 - 2016) ... just curious #6  
I too was intrigued by the Cabela’s tractors. There were lots of promises made on how they were in it for the long-haul. Fortunately I along with many others saw the writing on the wall and steered clear. I think they were good tractors for sure just no Long term after the sale support.

If you would like to see basically what they’re like find a rural King Store and go check out their tractors they are almost identical just no fancy camo stickers. (I think the loader and implements were made by woods for the Cabelas ones though)Still seem like good machines but not sure rural king would be the place to count on for parts and service.
If you do a web search for RK tractors there are many YouTube videos out there showing them in action.

/ Cabelas Tractors (2013 - 2016) ... just curious #7  
Like scaredychicken, I viewed what Cabelas was doing in tractors from a businessman's view. Whatever were they thinking ? Northern Tool also sells tractors. That seems like a mis-fit as well.
I was once offered the U.S. distributorship of an Italian line of tractors. After viewing the quality competition - Kubota, John Deere, New Holland, I decided that wasn't an arena in which I should sink my money.
Bobcat is (back) into tractors, after having dropped out 5 (?) years ago. Like Cabelas, their sales people will be sure of assurances of being "in it for the long haul." What else can they say ? Bobcat is a better fit for tractors than Cabelas ever was.

/ Cabelas Tractors (2013 - 2016) ... just curious #8  
Interesting. I work in a Cabelas/Bass Pro Distribution Center now for years. When I started I saw a few tractors and implements come through, mostly returns or demos. Of course me being an equipment junky I had to take a look. I remember some implements coming through, and they were defiantly built by woods. But the tractors... After getting involved with management for a time, you are wondering what they were thinking? They were thinking how to save the company from bankruptcy, Deere food plots, slap some camo paint on a tractor, a one stop shop, deer corn, tree stand, food plot seed, and the machine to plant it, in camo, and financing! Who wouldn't buy that? Turns out a lot of people wouldn't buy that, along with some of their other stuff... Now its Bass Pro, and they (he) only cares about one thing... and its not me.

/ Cabelas Tractors (2013 - 2016) ... just curious #9  
Unless cabelas was building there own tractor and I highly doubt it. There just rebranded tractors and with the availability of parts on the internet today if its available in the world today it can most likely be shipped to your door without even making a phone call.

I recently needed a flywheel ring gear for my 30yr old kubota..not a single one in the country, it was shipped from Japan and I got it in 3-4 weeks. How a cabelas tractor will hold up over 30yrs who knows.

Northern has been selling tractors for quite a few decades and I believe continues to do so.

/ Cabelas Tractors (2013 - 2016) ... just curious #10  
I considered the TYM offerings a couple of years ago. The pricing for what you got was VERY attractive. At the time they were offering a 37 HP hydro cab tractor with a loader for 25K. The main drawback for me was the nearest dealer was a independent home garden shop 180 miles away. While saving ten grand on a tractor sounded appealing, having to trailer it 3 hours away and trusting a dealer that specialized in azaleas and lawn mowers weighed heavy on my mind. What if it developed a problem under warranty?

At the time I was thinking about a TYM I had read enough about the Cabelas snafu to be leery of ANY rebranded tractor. It seems the deal Cabelas made with TYM made them solely responsible for follow up parts, warranty, and service. I'm not sure how that would prevent anyone from fitting TYM branded parts to keep them going or if many Cabelas parts were specked differently from the TYM parts. Never mind the hurdles people went through for warranty repairs.

I bought a Country Way tiller from RK last year. At the time they didn't list any warranty information on the web site but I went for the low price. The service guys told me the tiller was all serviced and ready to work. Nothing could have been further from the truth. (That's another topic but needless to say I wouldn't trust they could service a tractor.) Now they list all the Country Way tillers with a 30 day warranty and all are out of stock. They list a handful of parts but those are also all out of stock. Not sure why they don't just remove them from the web site.

My wife eyeballed the RK branded cab tractors while we were there and tried to talk me into one. That conversation didn't last long.