Cab window cleaning

/ Cab window cleaning #1  

Oz_Kioti

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti RX8030
After 500 hours on the new Kioti (well, 15 months old, but still feels like "new"), the front windscreen of the cab had many many grease splodges as a result of greasing all the zerks on the loader & bucket every 20-25 hours. So - how best to clean the glass?

From many years of flying corporate jets, the one thing which was hammered into me by the chief engineer was to exercise extreme caution when cleaning the bugs and insects of the windscreen, to avoid scratching. His recommended technique was to take a bucket of clean water up the ladder with you, and just use your wet hand to ease the bugs off. As he explained, there's no grit on your hand. Then, use a dedicated chamois to absorb the water drops.

Now I know scratches on a tractor glass aren't quite so critical, but old habits die hard, so up the ladder just now and wiped over the front window glass to remove the dust and odd bug. Then a clean sponge and some pink handcleaner which did a great job of dissolving the greasy splodges, followed by another wet hand going-over to remove any traces of the pink goo. Finally a bucket of fresh water over the lot!

It's taken longer to write this up than actually do it. :cool:

The side windows also have some splodges, but I don't spend much time looking through those...

/ Cab window cleaning #2  
I wipe it with mineral spirits then use glass cleaner.

/ Cab window cleaning #3  
I like to remove the most of the dirt with a pressure washer.

/ Cab window cleaning #4  
Once clean, I put a coat of "ProtectAll" wax on the glass and mirrors. It makes them very easy to just hose off and dry next time.

/ Cab window cleaning #5  
Spray Nine, then powerwash. Whatever is left is hand cleaned with a window cleaner. But yes, the windshield definitely gets grease from loader.

/ Cab window cleaning #6  
I use a spray glass cleaner from SafeLite. Very best glass cleaner I've ever used.

/ Cab window cleaning #7  
There is a big difference. Aircraft windows are plastic and tractors have glass just like your auto's. Use a degreaser to break down the grease. Carefully wipe of the grease since it will probably contain dirt that would act as an abrasive.

/ Cab window cleaning
The outer layer of the aircraft windscreen is usually tempered glass.

/ Cab window cleaning #9  
There is a big difference. Aircraft windows are plastic and tractors have glass just like your auto's. Use a degreaser to break down the grease. Carefully wipe of the grease since it will probably contain dirt that would act as an abrasive.
He ain't talking about pond hoppers.

/ Cab window cleaning #10  

Plastic windows are no doubt softer than glass but grit on a glass windshield will still scratch them.